Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4-year-old lab mix and I are moving in with a couple new roommates next month. A little background on my girl, Zuko:

She's always been the only dog in the house. We used to go to the dog park that was near our apartment all the time, and she loved playing with the other dogs. One day she got ganged up on by 5 other dogs and even though she didn't get hurt, I think it traumatized her because she was never the same after that, and soon we moved and were no longer close to a dog park. She has never actually bit or hurt another dog, but sometimes she growls/shows her teeth. She and my soon-to-be roommate's dog (Poseidon) have met and they actually got along pretty well. A little apprehension on Zuko's part, but no overly mean behavior. They're about the same size, which I think helped.

So, my question is, how can we make this transition go as smoothly as possible? Specifically around feeding time, but looking for any and all tips to ensure a happy home!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Are you moving in to a home that the other dog currently lives in? I would make sure to do the meeting on neutral ground, and take them for a walk together before going into the house. There's nothing wrong with a dog displaying or letting another dog know that it's not interested, as long as Zuko doesn't dish out more correction than is necessary, and Poseidon recognizes and respects that Zuko wants to be left alone.

For feeding time, I would feed them in their crates, separate from each other so there is no worries. My guys can eat right next to each other in the kitchen, but Levi is cool as a cucumber and Heidi has been doing it since she was 8 weeks, so there are super used to each other.

Other than that, just keep your eye out for any Resource Guarding (of anything, food, toys, space, or people), make sure they have space to get away from each other and I wouldn't leave them unattended together for a while, just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you moving in to a home that the other dog currently lives in? I would make sure to do the meeting on neutral ground, and take them for a walk together before going into the house. There's nothing wrong with a dog displaying or letting another dog know that it's not interested, as long as Zuko doesn't dish out more correction than is necessary, and Poseidon recognizes and respects that Zuko wants to be left alone.

For feeding time, I would feed them in their crates, separate from each other so there is no worries. My guys can eat right next to each other in the kitchen, but Levi is cool as a cucumber and Heidi has been doing it since she was 8 weeks, so there are super used to each other.

Other than that, just keep your eye out for any Resource Guarding (of anything, food, toys, space, or people), make sure they have space to get away from each other and I wouldn't leave them unattended together for a while, just in case.
Thanks for the advice!

Yes, we're moving into their house. We had the initial meeting and it went well. Zuko and I even went inside and I let her explore, but we kept them on their leashes just in case. Zuko hasn't been in her crate since she grew out of her destructive phase a couple years ago, but I was thinking I'll keep her food in my room until we can test it out otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts