Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What on earth could it of been? She was running about like a loon and eating fine then bang the next day she was off her food, had orange runny poo, drinking loads, weeing loads and breathing fast.
Two weeks of antibiotics did nothing, cushings test was inconclusive as its meant to be 600 or over and hers was 595.
First blood test showed some liver stuff but kidneys were fine then 4 days later kidneys are in failure and she had a high white blood cell count. Ultrasound showed enlarged liver that was rounded instead of having sharp edges.
Then even after different antibiotics, liver support meds and being on a drip 3 days she was still no better, had a very large tummy, could hardly walk and her temperature dropped so they said she would get no better and if i left her like it she would just die anyway. :(
So I had to have her pts, she was such a sweetheart.

Cant understand how her blood test showed kidneys were fine then 3/4 days later they were in failure that could not be reversed? Could the cushings test caused anything with her kidneys because her kidneys were fine before she had that?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm so sorry, I really feel for you. It sounds like you did everything you could.

You may never know exactly what happened? Did you get a necropsy done? Maybe that would give you some answers, but then again it may not. Could she have gotten into something toxic?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that.

Just last week my dog got pts with a similar diagnosis of kidney failure despite being fine a week earlier, in fact he had been staying at a kennel for a week before he was put to sleep and they reported that he had been fine there till the last day, within two days he had stopped eating, couldn't walk though he did try to and then eventually diagnosed.
The vet said that due to his age (16) there was no point in trying to treat it, which broke my heart but I can see now that it was the right thing to do.

Again, I'm sorry about your loss.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pup, never easy. It could very well have been something toxic or poisonous. I lost my pup when she was only 4, got outside and assume she got into mouse poison. By the time the vet finally listened to the possibility, it was too late.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts