Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys had any idea of what these were. He is getting two dark spots(both skin and hair) on his lower back. They were a size of a penny at first but they have gotten bigger. Right now I'm on vacation and a friend who is looking after him sent me these photos. My friend says that they don't seem to bother him, and he eats/acts completely normal.

http://tinypic.com/2mpk3qyd

Thank you for all your advice in advance

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
sparkfresh, have you figured out what the problem is?

my dog (she's miniature appricot, 5 and half years old--never been sick!) has what looks like the same thing! it's not bothering her a bit even though *i* keep touching it and it appeared very suddenly. it's been almost 2 weeks and i still can't tell if it's getting better or worse!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure this is mange. It is not itchy or painful to my dog. Nor does the skin show through--at all! Like I said, I keep fussing with it, trying to figure out what it is, but she doesn't notice a bit!

It's almost as if she's growing a different KIND of fur--it's short, dark reddish in color, and densely packed. I gave her a bath today & noticed while her fur was wet that there are 4 spots of dark fur on her back!

See pictures here: rosie_with_spots

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I'm not sure this is mange. It is not itchy or painful to my dog. Nor does the skin show through--at all! Like I said, I keep fussing with it, trying to figure out what it is, but she doesn't notice a bit!

It's almost as if she's growing a different KIND of fur--it's short, dark reddish in color, and densely packed. I gave her a bath today & noticed while her fur was wet that there are 4 spots of dark fur on her back!

See pictures here: rosie_with_spots

mange isn't itchy or painful. Most dogs will never notice/scratch. Its the secondary infections that som'times occur that are itchy...but you can have mange without a seconday infection.

Did the dog ever see a vet for a skin scraping?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, no skin scrapings. I plan to bring her to the vet during the week.

Everything I've read about mange involves the <i>skin</i>, which would be a necessary prerequisite for irritation such as itching and pain. At the moment, and for the past 2 weeks, the changes have been to her fur only--you can see this in the pictures. I'll continue to keep a close eye on it, especially in regards to balding.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

Everything I've read about mange involves the <i>skin</i>, which would be a necessary prerequisite for irritation such as itching and pain. At the moment, and for the past 2 weeks, the changes have been to her fur only--you can see this in the pictures. I'll continue to keep a close eye on it, especially in regards to balding.

awesome! let us know what the vet says. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts

My pup never itched nor was he ever painful or trying to get the spot and it was mange, the vet could tell right away.

Honestly my dog is white, so it looks different, but it did show up first for about 2-3 weeks as a brown patch, figured it was dirty hair. Then it started to thin out after that. The coat difference between ours is way different too lol so I can only say it looks similar, especially the area and pattern.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My white poodle (who we adopted at 12 1/2 years old last year) came with black spots on his pink skin. I mentioned it to our vet and he said they could be age spots but are probably nothing to worry about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts