Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. uhm, I have a problem with my dog right now (shit-tzu/maltese).
I bought her when she was just a month old, now she's like a year and a half... I used to give her milk every morning but now she's quite a picker (for a few months now) not just in Milk but also in dog foods. Can i get some advice please? Is Raw feeding ok? and she's maybe pregnant BTW...

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
OHHH man there's so much wrong.

You bought her when she was 4 weeks old? As in paid for her? A reputable breeder will not breed mixed breed dogs, nor will they let their pups go to new homes before they are at a minimum 8 weeks old, most wait till the pups are 10 to 12 weeks old. So if you ever purchase another dog please keep that in mind.

Get her to a vet and find out for sure if she's pregnant or not, while there schedule her to be spayed either a spay/abort, a spay after she has the pups, or a spay right away if she's not pregnant. She's a mixed breed and should not be bred, there are literally 1,000's of unwanted dogs that are put to sleep ever day in America, breeding mutts contributes the the problem.

She doesn't need milk, many dogs are lactose intolerant, if she stopped drinking it it may be because it upsets her tummy.

What dog food are you feeding her? Which have you tried?

I'm not sure if it's alright to feed raw to pregnant females, but I imagine it is, if you are going to try it your best bet is to contact a veterinary nutritionist so that y'all can figure out the best diet for her. If she's not pregnant the general rule of thumb is 80% 10% 10%. 80% raw meat, 10% bone, 10% organ. but again contact a veterinary nutritionist to figure out the best diet for her, to teach you what organs to use (please don't count skin as an organ in raw feeding), and which organs she should be getting the most of. Different organs contain different nutrients.

Reactions: Mamoii and crock

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I am going to have to echo Rain's sentiments.

Are you in the US?

How far along do you suspect she is with her pregancy?

Please stop giving her milk--dogs do not have the enzymes to digest dairy milk and have no need for any other kind of milk after they are weaned.

What is she currently eating? Have you tried the method of putting it down (without toppings/dressings) for 20 minutes twice a day and picking it up until the next meal? (She'll learn to eat it when it's available.) Otherwise, if she isn't prone to bolting her food or overeating, just leave her food out and let her be. Dogs will not starve themselves. (But she could just not be feeling well with the milk.) Also depending on how far along she is with her pregnancy, she may just only be able to eat smaller amounts more frequently.

1 1/2 years is too young to have a litter. Was this an accident? Are you familiar with how to safely deliver a litter and raise it with proper socialization and training? I too would recommend a spay/abort.... If you opt to let her have the litter, please start looking for responsible homes now, plan on keeping them until they are at least 8 weeks old (yes, four weeks old was way too young to buy your dog), and send them home with spay/neuter contracts. And if you think a selling fee will ensure them a good home, have them put that money down at a vet clinic with specific notes in the file that the balance is to be used for spay/neuter. That way this cycle ends with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts