Dog Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Okay, I'm confused as to when/where overeating or eating too fast became an issue for peekapoomommy, but if it is, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. ;) Most dogs are pretty smart about their eating. That said, measure out her meals so you know how much she's eating (and that she is eating). It is usually recommended to feed pups 3-4 times a day--you can do this in bowls, or if you need to keep her busy (or find that she does gobble really fast), you can use treat dispenser toys or stuffed Kongs. Another option is to just "wear" her daily meals (which won't be much since she's so little) in a treat pouch and use it to reinforce good behavior throughout the day.

By the time a puppy goes home at 8-12 weeks, they are more than capable of eating unsoftened kibble. I've never had a need to soak food at these ages, but like Kmes mentioned, some people do it for various reasons, whether founded or unfounded. If you're really concerned about water intake, you could opt for canned food. At her size, it isn't a terribly expensive option. But I also don't know where in this thread water even became a concern of OP's?

Re: grain free, "Grain free" doesn't necessarily make something a better food. There are now a wide range of GF formulas, different qualities, price points, etc. Some dogs do great on GF, some do the same as on grain inclusive, and some dogs do poorly on it. A lot of finding a food your puppy does best on, whether going GF or grain inclusive, is trial and error.

Here's another vote for Fromm, but I don't feed it personally. Right now I feed my own Canidae but have fed many others in the past, including Taste of the Wild, which is what my parents feed. I also rotate formulas periodically and use other brands for training.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Try the food that you are comfortable with and see how she does on it. If she starts having tummy issues then research and try another one. What one dog likes and does well on another dog may like or hate and do horrible on.

One piece of advice I can give is to either store the food in the original bag, or before transferring it into a storage container write down the lot number, brand and flavor of the food. That way if there's a recall on the brand you'll be able to see if the food is included in it.

Reactions: peekapoomommy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Okay, I'm confused as to when/where overeating or eating too fast became an issue for peekapoomommy, but if it is, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. ;) Most dogs are pretty smart about their eating. That said, measure out her meals so you know how much she's eating (and that she is eating). It is usually recommended to feed pups 3-4 times a day--you can do this in bowls, or if you need to keep her busy (or find that she does gobble really fast), you can use treat dispenser toys or stuffed Kongs. Another option is to just "wear" her daily meals (which won't be much since she's so little) in a treat pouch and use it to reinforce good behavior throughout the day.

By the time a puppy goes home at 8-12 weeks, they are more than capable of eating unsoftened kibble. I've never had a need to soak food at these ages, but like Kmes mentioned, some people do it for various reasons, whether founded or unfounded. If you're really concerned about water intake, you could opt for canned food. At her size, it isn't a terribly expensive option. But I also don't know where in this thread water even became a concern of OP's?

Re: grain free, "Grain free" doesn't necessarily make something a better food. There are now a wide range of GF formulas, different qualities, price points, etc. Some dogs do great on GF, some do the same as on grain inclusive, and some dogs do poorly on it. A lot of finding a food your puppy does best on, whether going GF or grain inclusive, is trial and error.

Here's another vote for Fromm, but I don't feed it personally. Right now I feed my own Canidae but have fed many others in the past, including Taste of the Wild, which is what my parents feed. I also rotate formulas periodically and use other brands for training.
I'm not sure where the water came from either... It was first mentioned to prevent overeating but I'm pretty sure that can be prevented by limiting the amount in the bowl. And since my puppy will be 10 weeks old when I get her she should be doing just fine on dry foods. I have never heard of Fromm or Canidae... Is it sold in the US?

One piece of advice I can give is to either store the food in the original bag, or before transferring it into a storage container write down the lot number, brand and flavor of the food. That way if there's a recall on the brand you'll be able to see if the food is included in it.
That is GREAT advice! thank you!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm not sure where the water came from either... It was first mentioned to prevent overeating but I'm pretty sure that can be prevented by limiting the amount in the bowl. And since my puppy will be 10 weeks old when I get her she should be doing just fine on dry foods. I have never heard of Fromm or Canidae... Is it sold in the US?

That is GREAT advice! thank you!
Fromm and Canidae are both sold in the U.S. Canidae is sold at Petco. Fromm is only through local small pet stores generally. They are not sold at Petco or Petsmart, Fromm likes to support the little man. Which is a big reason why I love Fromm!

I would recommend you store the food in the original bag and then the original bag inside a storage container. Almost all dry food is guaranteed and can be returned to the store you bought it from, and if they give you a hard time, the manufacturer will usually help you out. But most companies will not take back food without the packaging unless its in the case of a recall. And even then, some companies won't take it back.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
LOL, I'm sure Weaver didn't mean it like this, but to clarify, Canidae is sold at many stores, not just Petco, so you can still support "local" if that's your preference. :) I personally wouldn't rule out a food just because they could be found at non-"local" stores.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I am also all for buying local BUT if you do like big-box stores, PetSmart's proprietary brand Simply Nourish is what I fed my pup for his first year (I worked there at the time, making it extremely affordable). My dogs both loved it, they make grain-free and grain inclusive lines and their record with recalls is quite good. That said, I don't work there anymore. It is still priced pretty competitively even without the employee discount though. I may very well rotate back to it for a bit when I am done with all the TOTW flavors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The closest pet store is a PetSmart and nothing in that store is afordable... there is a PetCo and a PetSmart about 45-60 minutes from my home. I'm hoping to be able to purchase only from our county Co-op, local tractor supply, and of course.... WALMART! ha! but its a major no go on wal mart foods!

I am going to start a new thread about feeding raw. Please go there and give me feedback. thanks!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The closest pet store is a PetSmart and nothing in that store is afordable... there is a PetCo and a PetSmart about 45-60 minutes from my home. I'm hoping to be able to purchase only from our county Co-op, local tractor supply, and of course.... WALMART! ha! but its a major no go on wal mart foods!

I am going to start a new thread about feeding raw. Please go there and give me feedback. thanks!
You could also look at buying online and having it delivered. amazon.com or chewys.com have really good prices and they deliver right to your door. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Well if you have a Tractor Supply, you are probably set. 4Health is good and very cheap; a lot of people also get Taste of the Wild there on account of price.

For what it's worth, Petsmart's in-house food Authority is actually really good. Calypso has been eating it the last couple of weeks while we're stuck in Missouri still (with no TSC nearby). Better and MUCH less frequent poop than she had on Iams. Petsmart also sells an organic or all-natural food, I think Simply Nourish, but it is priced up with the higher-end foods.

I still prefer 4Health over Authority, but I'm liking it as a alternative. The puppy kibble had artificial coloring in it as of 2012, but I didn't see it on the ingredients list for the (adult) kind I just bought!

·
Registered
724 Posts
LOL, I'm sure Weaver didn't mean it like this, but to clarify, Canidae is sold at many stores, not just Petco, so you can still support "local" if that's your preference. :) I personally wouldn't rule out a food just because they could be found at non-"local" stores.
Lol sorry! I totally didn't mean it like that. I just meant that Petco is the only big name retailer that carries it.

However, they don't carry the 44 pound bargain bag ;)

I wouldn't rule it out either. I just personally like to support local but I'm biased since I manage a local pet store haha.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
After looking in to the recalls and things I'm leaning away from Diamond and the brands it packs for (like 4 health)... I have seen a lot of people mentioning Call of the wild. I'm about to do some research on it...

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Gotcha. ;) I wasn't sure!

Peekapoo--I forgot to add NutriSource as a suggestion. Like Fromm (although maybe not as high up there in the "quality") NS has several levels of lines to choose from at different price points and IIRC have not been involved in any recalls.

Also, re: feed stores--that's primarily where we buy our food! Nothing wrong with that! DoItBest and Tractor Supply Company are the most common ones here. TSC carries most of the foods that Diamond plants product (ie Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Natural Balance, TOTW, 4Health, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Wellness, etc.). They also usually carry Nutro lines (which is another one you might consider, again, several price points), Canidae, Avoderm, and more. Our DoItBest carries SolidGold, TOTW, Nutro, etc.

ETA--just saw your comment above--TOTW is manufactured by Diamond plants if that is one of your concerns. However, Canidae, Avoderm, NutriSource, Fromm, Nutro, etc are not, just fyi.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Peekapoo--I forgot to add NutriSource as a suggestion. Like Fromm (although maybe not as high up there in the "quality") NS has several levels of lines to choose from at different price points and IIRC have not been involved in any recalls (I may be getting my threads mixed up--don't remember if recalls were one of your concerns).

Also, re: feed stores--that's primarily where we buy our food! Nothing wrong with that! DoItBest and Tractor Supply Company are the most common ones here. TSC carries most of the foods that Diamond plants product (ie Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Natural Balance, TOTW, 4Health, Chicken Soup for the Soul, etc.). They also usually carry Nutro lines (which is another one you might consider, again, several price points), Canidae, Avoderm, and more. Our DoItBest carries SolidGold, TOTW, Nutro, etc.
Well after about two seconds of research i realized Taste of the wild (not Call ha my bad) is also by Diamond so it's off my list for the moment. I will check out the NS lines and see... It may have been you but someone suggested Acana? and I have never heard of a DoItBest soo... Ima say we don't have one! lol I'm hoping to swing by our Co-Op this week and see what they "keep" in stock... I know they will order anything I ask for but i don't know what they would charge me to do so...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I feed my girl Acana because a) it's local b) I can read and understand every ingredient and c) unlike in some places, it's basically the same price as kirkland food (which was an option before I found out Tess can't have flaxseed oil). It's made by Champion foods. Acana has grains in it, well they have a grain free line too, and Orijen is there all grain free line. If you google Champion you'll find they have a great record.

That being said, the food I chose to feed my dog may not be best for yours. For instance: I chose grain free because whenever my dog had grains she got massive gas, this may not happen with your dog. I chose this food because it's local and $40 a bag for a large bag, it may be expensive in your area. I choose to feed higher protein, your dog may have a sensitive tummy and can't tolerate a higher protein. Get what I'm getting at. The best food may not be your first choice, but it's the best choice for your dog!

As for puppy food vs ALS: I wouldn't be too concerned with puppy food for a small dog, but would be for a larger one just because of the calcium and phos levels interacting with large breed puppies joints. Most breeders around my area actually feed ALS foods to their dogs because they feel "puppy" food is hokum. Do some research on it, but try not to get too overwhelmed, the dog food carousal is a nasty one.

Reactions: leaveittoweaver

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me price and calories is a big factor. We buy diamond naturals beef from our local feed store, farm supply. The puppies get diamond naturals puppy.
I have tried many different foods for them. But with some of the more expensive foods I was having to feed more to maintain weight because it did not have enough calories.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Well after about two seconds of research i realized Taste of the wild (not Call ha my bad) is also by Diamond so it's off my list for the moment. I will check out the NS lines and see... It may have been you but someone suggested Acana? and I have never heard of a DoItBest soo... Ima say we don't have one! lol I'm hoping to swing by our Co-Op this week and see what they "keep" in stock... I know they will order anything I ask for but i don't know what they would charge me to do so...
I avoid Diamond as well.

Have you looked into Earthborn Naturals? They do holistic petfood and they're actually pretty environmentally conscious, which I like. It's grain-free and actually pretty affordable for the quality...I pay $47 for a 28 pound bag, so only a bit more than TOTW.

I get it from a local dog spa facility (you pay to use their equipment and bath/groom your own dog) that carries a lot of high end, premium and super premium kibbles.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Peekapoo--I forgot to add NutriSource as a suggestion. Like Fromm (although maybe not as high up there in the "quality") NS has several levels of lines to choose from at different price points and IIRC have not been involved in any recalls.

Also, re: feed stores--that's primarily where we buy our food! Nothing wrong with that! DoItBest and Tractor Supply Company are the most common ones here. TSC carries most of the foods that Diamond plants product (ie Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Natural Balance, TOTW, 4Health, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Wellness, etc.). They also usually carry Nutro lines (which is another one you might consider, again, several price points), Canidae, Avoderm, and more. Our DoItBest carries SolidGold, TOTW, Nutro, etc.

ETA--just saw your comment above--TOTW is manufactured by Diamond plants if that is one of your concerns. However, Canidae, Avoderm, NutriSource, Fromm, Nutro, etc are not, just fyi.
Nutrisource is awesome! I feed the Pure Vita Bison to my dog and its the only thing that set her stools right.

And the rep told me that none of their vitamins are from China, mostly Switzerland and Italy.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts