Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, when I get my peekapoo her breeder will wean her to Royal Canin Puppy. I cannot find anywhere local that sells it and besides that I have heard it's not really worth all the money because it doesn't have as much protein as other brands in it's price range. I have heard that Diamond Naturals is more bang for your buck in that it has more protein than other's in it's price range. I want to have a healthy puppy but affordable at the same time. Any advice or even other brand suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If anyone else has peekapoos I would love to know what you feed them and how they react?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hi, when I get my peekapoo her breeder will wean her to Royal Canin Puppy. I cannot find anywhere local that sells it and besides that I have heard it's not really worth all the money because it doesn't have as much protein as other brands in it's price range. I have heard that Diamond Naturals is more bang for your buck in that it has more protein than other's in it's price range. I want to have a healthy puppy but affordable at the same time. Any advice or even other brand suggestions will be greatly appreciated. If anyone else has peekapoos I would love to know what you feed them and how they react?
This may not be the answer you're looking for, but I would highly advise against this breeder. A "peekapoo" is not a breed of dog, it's a mix of two, and is no more special than your average mutt (genetics wise -- we all love our mutts here, of course ;) If you really want a "peekapoo", I'd suggest looking in a shelter -- you'd probably find one.

Breeders of designer dogs generally do not take any of the proper precautions of responsible breeders looking to improve their breed. They don't do the required health testing (not just a check-up, I mean a full health and genetics panel) and no matter how devoted they may be to their dogs, they use the idea that it's a new, "special" breed to sucker people into buying them.

Tl;dr please don't buy from this breeder. It's very likely to end badly.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy! When do you expect to get her? As for Diamond Naturals, you will get mixed reviews from many here. Diamond has a sketchy history for recalls. They seem to be higher than normal. Although, their food is quite decent for the price point.

My advice is to feed something that is readily available in your area, that is at a price point that you feel comfortable with over the long haul and that your new puppy tolerates.

If there is a food that you have decided on, perhaps you can give that to the breeder to wean your new pup onto so there isn't another switch when you bring her home.

·
Banned
215 Posts
I agree with Rennajade 110%.

Any breeder who breeds mixed breeds, its not a reputable breeder. I would save up your money for a puppy from a reputable breeder of the akc website who does titling and full health testing. If stay away from this breeder

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I have wanted a peekapoo for over 12 years and I have been looking in shelters. I am actually buying a puppy from a breeder in New York because the puppies I have seen from local breeder are not healthy. This lady also breeds AKC poodles and peekingese so for those who are worried about the health of my puppy I believe if they are healthy enough to breed registered puppies they should be fine for my "Mutt" She is a wonderful lady whom I've been in contact with for a while now and I am trying to find a FOOD I trust to send to her or send her money to buy when the time comes. If anyone can give me advice on Diamond Naturals Grain Free (that is the brand i am leaning toward) I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on your new puppy! When do you expect to get her? As for Diamond Naturals, you will get mixed reviews from many here. Diamond has a sketchy history for recalls. They seem to be higher than normal. Although, their food is quite decent for the price point.

My advice is to feed something that is readily available in your area, that is at a price point that you feel comfortable with over the long haul and that your new puppy tolerates.

If there is a food that you have decided on, perhaps you can give that to the breeder to wean your new pup onto so there isn't another switch when you bring her home.
Momma is dues March 7 and I should get her mid May. Breeder wants to keep her with her family till she is 10 Weeks for socialization! I am SOOO excited! I have wanted a peekapoo for a looong time Mutt or not!

The price is what I was leaning toward but I haven't found the grain free at my local tractor supply so I'm not sure what that will cost me vs their "regular" stuff. Do you think that grains are okay or should I look harder for that grain free?

The other thing I am uncertain of is the grain free is considered an all ages food but should I keep her on puppy food longer?? honestly... I never worried about food before... I fed my dogs whatever my dad brought home... but since this is MY peekapoo and i am paying for her and her food I'd like to feed her something of higher quality.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Diamond Naturals as a food, it's just the company has had their fair share of recalls.

From their website, the food looks pretty decent. According to the site the Ca is 1.1% (as fed) and the Phosphorous is 0.8% for the chicken formula. I would just make sure that your vet is comfortable with these values.

If you use one of the dog food review sites, take them with a grain of salt. Most are not written by anyone trained in animal nutrition.

If you are getting from the tractor supply, their own brand 4 Health is made by Diamond, so essentially, it is the same food and probably cheaper overall. Just a suggestion.

Oh, the grain vs grain free debate is rampant. Many dogs do awesome on a grain free diet, some do not. Some, for health reasons, must have grains in their diet. It's really about personal preference. Some will argue that a puppy must be on puppy food and others believe an all life stages food is fine. IMHO, I would keep to a puppy formulation with high quality grains. As I said, if you are looking at tractor supply, their own brand is pretty decent and a lot of people feed it with excellent success.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Do you have small dogs? If so what do YOU buy?
I do have 2 chihuahuas and a lab/GSD mix. I feed them all Fromm. I tried them on all sorts of different things and that seems to be the one that they do the best on and they will consistently eat.

We don't have 4Health food here in Canada, but we do have Kirkland (Costco's own brand) which is essentially the same as it is made by Diamond as well. I tried feeding that to them and none of them liked it. But, mine are fussy, finicky little princesses (even though they are boys :eek:).

The reason I like Fromm is 1. They have never been involved in a recall. 2. They have been around for a long time. 3. They have 3 different price points for all budgets.

At the end of the day, it's all about your new pup....what will SHE eat and do well on.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a small dog (Bichon Frise) and feed her 4Health from Tractor Supply. She likes it and it seems to be good for her. :)

4Health does have a grain-free version that's only slightly more expensive than the regular; I don't personally see any reason to upgrade. Everyone has different standards. I am happy that it has no artificial coloring or flavoring, and a single major meat source (versus some of the foods that have four or five different kinds).

The great news about dog food is, millions of dogs do JUST GREAT on all kinds of food--even ones that I and other people here would never *dream* of feeding our dogs. They're awesome like that. :D

·
Banned
215 Posts
You would still have to have a small bag so you can slowly switch your puppy off. You can NOT just put down a bowl of new food for a dog.

Start off with a quarter or less of the food of the new food , and the rest the old food. Slowly increase the new food 1/4 at a time into the old food. If you find your dog gets sick, go back a step.

Never ever ever just put down a bowl of new food for a puppy. It really isnt good for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You would still have to have a small bag so you can slowly switch your puppy off. You can NOT just put down a bowl of new food for a dog.

Start off with a quarter or less of the food of the new food , and the rest the old food. Slowly increase the new food 1/4 at a time into the old food. If you find your dog gets sick, go back a step.

Never ever ever just put down a bowl of new food for a puppy. It really isnt good for them.

Thanks for the advice! I DID know not to do that which is why I want to Go ahead and have the brand to begin the transition with what she comes with. But that leads me to another question. I've heard of people rotating their foods to give them different types of meat... does that not cause problems too? Or us it just puppies that can't handle a switch. And if they are only doing it to give a variety of meat/flavors can you not mix two or three different flavors of the same brand in the bowl? This confuses me too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
1. As for switching foods--it is dependent on the dog. Calypso can switch straight-up, no weaning. I discovered this when I first got her and wanted to feed something besides what the breeder did. The first day, she ate the majority-old kibble and the little bit of the new at breakfast. At dinner, she ate up the new stuff and left all the old behind. :D That was the end of that! I have switched around several times since for various reasons and she has always done just fine without a transition. However, many dogs do have problems and so a gradual transition works better for them.

2. Multiple meat sources...there are different opinions on this. Some people like to rotate b/c they think it provides better all around nutrition, and prevents the dog from getting bored. I like to stick to as few protein sources as possible. Dogs can develop allergies to proteins they've been exposed to. So, it is in my interest to limit Calypso to chicken and fish (fish oil) for now. That way, if something happens down the line, I can switch to a lamb, deer or rabbit (etc) based kibble. (She's also been exposed to beef and pork via treats, of course, and I guess deer through antlers. But so far, no chicken or fish allergies so we're cool for now, fingers crossed.)

3. Most people don't mix kibbles at the same time presumably b/c that requires you to keep multiple giant bags around. Why do that? Also, if your dog likes one more than the others, they might leave the others behind, a la my little rascal.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I DID know not to do that which is why I want to Go ahead and have the brand to begin the transition with what she comes with. But that leads me to another question. I've heard of people rotating their foods to give them different types of meat... does that not cause problems too? Or us it just puppies that can't handle a switch. And if they are only doing it to give a variety of meat/flavors can you not mix two or three different flavors of the same brand in the bowl? This confuses me too.
Posted via Mobile Device
I switch my dogs food almost every 2 years so they dont get allergic. Now, its not a must but its my personal prefrence. I feed grain free and i DO NOT feed chicken. I find a lot of dogs have problems with it so i just stick to everything else but chicken.

I personally wouldnt mix the two, just cause then its a huge pain in the butt to introduce the mix, especially when youre switching from one food to the mix. Its too confusing.

Also, before you put the bowl down put a litte but of water in the bottom. In preents your puppy from over eating cause when youre puppy gets sick, they can literally become sticks and bones after just one time of bein sick.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I switch my dogs food almost every 2 years so they dont get allergic. Now, its not a must but its my personal prefrence. I feed grain free and i DO NOT feed chicken. I find a lot of dogs have problems with it so i just stick to everything else but chicken.

I personally wouldnt mix the two, just cause then its a huge pain in the butt to introduce the mix, especially when youre switching from one food to the mix. Its too confusing.

Also, before you put the bowl down put a litte but of water in the bottom. In preents your puppy from over eating cause when youre puppy gets sick, they can literally become sticks and bones after just one time of bein sick.

i feed my dogs chicken all the time, no problems ;)

i don't understand what you mean by not mixing? when you switch between foods, you should mix them to make the transition more gradual. i switch brands of dog food regularly, and i rarely have any digestive issues because i mix them.

on this last statement, do you have any links or anything that talk about this? i've never heard that specifically before, though i have heard mixed views on adding water to kibble.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shouldn't I be able to avoid over indulgence by limiting the amount of food I put in the bowl??? What does the water do to stop it?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Shouldn't I be able to avoid over indulgence by limiting the amount of food I put in the bowl??? What does the water do to stop it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, you're correct. You control how much the pup eats by how much you put in the bowl. Adding water does nothing to prevent a dog from overeating. Some people add water to slow down dogs that gulp their food too quickly. I'm not sure it makes much difference but I do it for that reason.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I don't have small dogs but I use 4health and all of my dogs do very well on it. I tried grain free because one of my dogs has allergies but 2 of them did not do well on grain free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a pomeranian who I use to feed blue buffalo then switched over to Wellness then I switched to home cooked diets.

When he was younger I use to give him beneful which was an awful brand, I believe it gave my dog epilepsy since the vet couldn't find anything that caused the seizures. After I did some research I found that nutrition deficiencies can cause seizures and after I switched his food to a higher quality dog food, his seizures were gone.

I'm not too sure about the diamond brand but I've heard as long as corn, soy, or another protein filler is not the first ingredient, it should be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 57 Posts