Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents won't let me feed my 15 year old dog Sally,who is slightly overweight.
They always free feed her and fill her bowl to the brim. I made my mom swear not to feed her or fuss at me when i feed her and she agreed,so i did a food calculator online and she needs two cups a day and i add two spoon's of water and mix with her dry food to make it slightly softer. Then today mom started fussing at me and saying "its not the hunger games."
Then I tried to talk and she got mad at me.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
That's a tough situation to be in. Have you tried explaining how being overweight can end up hurting your dog?

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a tough situation to be in. Have you tried explaining how being overweight can end up hurting your dog?
Yes,and mom just keeps filling her bowl.
Dad always yells at me if i try to talk about it.
THEY NEVER LISTEN BECAUSE IM TWELVE

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
What type of dog is Sally, and do you know what her ideal weight is?

Have you tried showing your parents some websites that back up what you are saying? I can get you some links that will show how many calories a dog needs per pound of body weight, how man calories per cup whatever food y'all are feeding has, and how hard extra weight is on an elderly dog. I can also give you some tips on low calorie snacks that she can eat without gaining weight.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You could also try telling them that you want to me more responsible and involved in Sally's caretaking, and would like to take over her feedings.

I also agree with showing them some articles about how being over weight is unhealthy for a dog. It might help also to do some reaserch and readings, and have those to back you up when you talk to your parents.

Would it be possible to get them to ask (or you to ask), next time you go to the vets, if Sally needs to loose some weight or ask how much food she should be eating at her age. It might help them to hear it from the vet.

Good luck

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a food calculator online,and i know her exact weight and what she should be at.I'd just like her to lose 2-4 pounds.

Well at the vet i'm really shy to speak.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Don't be shy at the vet! I have anxiety so I know it's easier said than done, but it's for the health of your dog.
How big is she? If she's a large breed 2-4lbs isn't really much overweight, if she's a smaller breed then yes, she could lose a little, but that's still not too awful. My parents' Cocker Spaniel is now about 27lbs and was a whopping 40lbs when we got her, THAT is overweight. Still, at her age it's definitely best she get that weight off especially if she's a smaller breed.
Try to speak up next time you go to the vet, that might help convince your parents. It's really great you're trying to take an active role in the card of your dog at your age. It's a shame your parents are getting in the way, but I'm sure they think they know what's best.
What kind of food does she eat?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taste of the wild,for all age or seniors (i can't remember)
She is a large dog,and i can't quite tell whether shes overweight or not.She has a very good tuck in her stomach,but has a tumor above her arm pit that makes her side stick out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Aw she's precious!
She doesn't exactly look too badly overweight to me, just slightly. It's great you're taking a vested interest in her care and feeding, but I wouldn't worry too much about her weight where she is now. Just feed her low calorie treats so she doesn't get any extra there and I think it's probably alright to leave her feeding regime be, especially if your parents are being difficult about it. Then again, if she's arthritic it's better to keep them as lean as possible so there's that. But she's really only a bit overweight, maybe 5lbs at most.
Try speaking up at the vet's if you really want something to change, I think it may be the only way to convince your parents.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My parents won't let me feed my 15 year old dog Sally,who is slightly overweight.
Then I tried to talk and she got mad at me.

Please help.
When you're a kid you pretty much have no rights and have to do what your parents say. It sucks. I vividly remember how much it sucks. My sympathies

Tough it out. Enjoy living the good life for free (sort of like a dog); in a few years it'll all be over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts