Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I'm a high school senior and three years ago my family and I got a German schepherd puppy. Unfortunately, my parents fight and yell at each other every single day; I'm used to it, but I'm worried for my dog. When they fight he goes to another room and seems sad. Up until now, I've been taking him on walks when they fight or generally comforting him, but next year I leave for college and am terrified as to what will happen then. I'm afraid my parents will keep fighting and neglect him, especially since I'm the one who mainly takes care of him right now. Any advice please?!!!

Otherwise, I have a small question; both my parents work, and they keep our dog in a small locked den outside when we're not in the house. We do have a garden but when we let him in their he runs and spins and tears up the ground. Again, while I'm here I come home around 3-4 so then I let him out and in the house, but when I'm gone next year im afraid my parents will neglect him until they come home at 7. Any advice about that? Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Have you ever talked to your parents about their fighting, and suggest they seek counselling to learn to communicate with each other without it declining into a yelling match. Maybe you should video record them next time and let them see how utterly bad they look and sound...it might shock them to see how ugly it is.

As far as the dog... Maybe you should see about re-homing him. It doesn't sound like he's going to have much of a quality of life, being locked up in a room, never allowed to use the yard because with all that stored up energy he tries to burn some off when given a chance to be outside...and it doesn't sound like your parents are going to walk him.

It sounds like you are the only one who can be pro active in helping your dog out of what will probably become a worse situation. Dogs are social animals, and it just saddens me to think this dog could end up locked away in a room alone for th majority of a day and when not there, subjected to hostile yelling while in the house with your parents.

Stormy

·
Registered
300 Posts
this is so sad! sorry that you have to go through it. I know you say you are used to it. but no one should be. its not nice at all.
I agree with Stormy. Recording them to show them how ugly it can be might be what they need. And finding someone to rather take your dog will be better for the dog. I know the thought hurts, but in the long run you will do what is best to ensure your dog is happy and is cared for. Perhaps another relative can take him, then you can still visit?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts