Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a female Australian Cattle dog / Lab mix that we adopted when she was about 8 weeks old.

She is about 1 1/2 years old now.
She never previously showed signs of aggression; we'll take her to the dog park and she is even gentle with the other dogs.

Recently I have been buying wet food to put on top of her dry food because she doesn't eat much and she was starting to look a little too skinny. Soon after i realized when I put the wet food out she would growl at us if we came near it.

Yesterday I gave her a treat after coming in from a walk. She kept trying to swallow a piece that was much too big for her, and then she would cough it back up. In concern for her choking, i went over to take it from her. She immediately starting growling and baring her teeth at me when I came up to her. I sat down on the floor with her to try and keep her calm. When I went
to grab the treat she viciously bit down on my thumb hard, breaking the skin.

She's never bit me like that before and she's always been so gentle with me. I don't understand what is wrong with her.

Just a side note, she is up to date on all vaccinations.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
It definitely sounds like resource guarding. She bit because you ignored her warning to stay away. Even the best natured dogs can resource guard. My own boy will let me hold bully sticks while he chews them, will bring me his kong that was stuffed with kibble and wet food so that I can loosen the stuff at the bottom, and has no problem with me petting him while he's chewing on his Himalayan chew, BUT if I try touching him while he has a raw meaty bone like a marrow bone or a chicken wing he will growl a very serious warning, I'm sure if I pressed him he'd probably bite.

The good news is that if handled correctly resource guarding is one of the easier behavioral problems to correct. The link that SusanLynn provided is loaded with great information that should help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts