Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a labrador Casper who will be turning 13 next month and has started displaying unusual behaviour. I recently separated from my husband (he moved out so no new surroundings for the dog) and I have lost my job around a month ago. since then I'm at home most of my time with my dog and go out only on weekends to visit friends.

A couple of weekends ago, I left for a party at my friend's at 8pm and by the time I got home..I saw a note left through my door by my neighbor saying my dog was whimpering,whining and barking since 8 pm. I apologised to them and realised I had not left the lights on in the room where Casper was and that 'change of atmosphere' must have made him think that I neglected him. After that weekend, I once again left Casper alone for around 6 hours and when I returned at around 9pm.. Casper seemed fine and there were no complaints from my neighbor. Today I again got a text from my neighbor whilst I was out shopping informing me that Casper has been whining, barking, whimpering since 4.30pm whereas I had left the house at 1pm. He just wasn't settling by himself sadly and kept on doing it until I got back home at 7.30 pm. Please can someone tell me what this is all about. I'm worried that my Casper might start getting health problems due to such long hours of barking and stress. Please note there is no change in the atmosphere..he is left in the same room with toys/bed/blanket as he always was. I will shortly start working again and he will have to be at home all alone for long hours, I really don't want him to turn into a trouble for the neighbors and for his own self. How can I make him realise that everything is as it has always been? Is it the absence of daylight that makes him get scared and start barking (I know it sounds silly but there is really no other difference in the situations). Please advise..I desperately need help.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
He may be feeling anxious due to the change in your household since you've separated. He may be in the same physical surroundings but the separation may have affected him.

It's very hard to say if this will resolve in time. I'd suggest you look at two different sites that might give you some insight into what could be going on.

About Eileen Anderson - Dog Dementia: Help and SupportDog Dementia: Help and Support

The experts on separation anxiety in dogs - Malena DeMartini

A vet visit to rule out any physical problems is always a good place to start. Have blood work done, thyroid checked, eyesight checked, and evaluate for pain. Senior dogs can develop problems that come on slowly with subtle symptoms.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for your reply. I just hope this gets resolved quickly. I'll take him to the vet anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.