Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I need some advice for my new rescue. I've had him for a week now. The first few days, he was ok with going for walks once or twice a day and also went out in my backyard to go potty. Now, for the last few days, he refuses to go out the front door and will only go out in the back. To get him out the front door to go for a walk, I've tried luring him with treats, I've tried carrying him, I've tried walking ahead and having him try to come to me. If I do get him outside and close the door, he just stays at the door, tries everything to get back in and starts shaking violently. He's obviously afraid, but I don't know of what. I'm not sure what to do. I'm getting really frustrated and I'm sure he's getting restless because he needs to go for a walk!

Has anyone ever had an experience like this or have any advice on how to get him out the front door and out for a walk?

A little background:He's a 26 lb hound mix (we think perhaps Italian Greyhound mixed with something). The shelter did not have any information on his background.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has he been to the vet recently to make sure he is not physically in pain somewhere that would make walks unpleasant?

Is he ok if you leave him alone at home--could it be separation anxiety? What does he do when you tried things you mentioned in the post (luring with treats, carrying, etc)?

Is there anyway you can try leading him back in through the front door after you left through the back door?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding!

He went to the vet in September with his foster mom. I want to take him for a check-up, but I can't get him out of the house. He was fine on his walks the first couple days I had him and has no problem running around the house- and I mean sprinting! haha

He is ok when I leave him alone, but very excited when I returned. When I tried the treats, he only gets so far, usually won't actually get out the door. When I carry him out the door, he immediately tries to go back in.

Unfortunately my back yard doesn't connect to the front- the only way out is to go back into the house.

I'm stumped. I definitely think he's scared. I just don't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm assuming he is moving fine with no sign of pain or lameness?

Assuming there is nothing physically wrong with him, what would happen if you keep a harness/non-slip collar + leash on him and carry him out and stay outside with him on leash with toys, treats, food, and try to engage him in play (basically throw a party in the front yard)?

Before you try that method though, I'd give toys a try, if your dog really loves a particular toy(s). Sometimes the toy drive can help you make better progress than treats, if they're really into a game. Say if your dog likes tug, play tug with him and start moving toward and eventually through the front door (have him a leash just in case he bolts though). He just needs that "breakthrough" moment to realize that if he steps outside, he's not going to get eaten.

I took my dog to a friend's house for the first time a year and a half or so ago. My dog was about 7 months at the time. Inside, there were 3 steps leading to a landing with a door that lead outside. For whatever reason not apparent to me, my dog was terrified of stepping on to that landing. Maybe there was a ghost, who knows. I couldn't lure him there with food or treats either. I went the tough love method and just carried him to the landing and stood there with him, with treats, toys, and stroked him while he shook like a leaf for all of 10 seconds. It took him another minute to have that breakthrough moment to realize that he wasn't dead yet and that we were all fine. He never had a problem with that landing after that.

Sometimes if the dog is spooked for no apparent reason, it's hard to convince them otherwise, and a little tough love might just do the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, no sign of pain or lameness. Tried the toy thing. Unfortunately that didn't do the trick either.

I guess I'll just keep at it each day and hope he changes his mind one of these days!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Not knowing anything about his background really leaves you at a disadvantage. He could possibly associate going outside with abandonment, if that is something that happened to him before. You are probably just going to have to take it really slow, maybe some favorite treats just outside the door, then let him right back in. Slowly place the treats a little farther from the door, see how he does, but I wouldn't push walking until he starts to get more comfortable just being outside the house for short periods of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts