Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, recently my girlfriend and I got a new 1 year old Yorkie from a shelter. He's been given up by about 2-3 different people, and I seem to now know why.
He's loving, playful, and energetic, but he seems to have some major social attachment problems. He's chosen me as his "master" and follows me everywhere. At first, I didn't have a problem with this. But now he's getting slightly aggressive with it by barking at me everytime I close the door and don't let him in. For example, I'll leave my office or bedroom to go get a snack in the kitchen. He senses that, follows me there, then follows me back to the room. Well, when I try to close the door, he barks at me, almost menacingly. He's also done it when I try to go to the bathroom. Here's the catch. When I leave my door open or let him come in, he doesn't want to go in!!! Only when I leave the room, and try to close the door he gets angry at me. If anyone could explain what to do, that would be most appreciated. I know I sound like an amateur. I've had 2 other dogs in my life, and I've never had this issue before. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

My guess would be it's a form of seperation anxiety and due to being given up so often. My boy Ratchet also went through several households (including a one-day stop right before mine) and he was very attached to me for the first little bit. How long have you had the dog? In my case, it started to fade after a month of me constantly coming home.

You may want to do a search for seperation anxiety here for more tips.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My adult rescue (who I got 6ish months ago) is the same way - she gets very nervous when I leave the room, and heaven forbid I got into the cat area and give the cats some attention! It does get better as time goes on, and I have found waiting until Bree stops whining to open the door (at first, I waited for a 2-second break, then 5 seconds, etc...) to help lessen her reactions. I've also thrown treats on behind me as I walk into another room and shut the door. Now she's quiet when I'm elsewhere in the house, although she'll lean against the door she saw me leave out of if no one else is home or sulk next to my bf's feet if he's here.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Give him time to adjust to his new home and routines. Does he have his own kennel? or a room baby gated off to put him when you need space..so to speak..With some place to put him you can help him learn to be more independent. Giving him a piece of your clothing to snuggle with and toys to play with to keep him busy..:) This will also make it easier to show him that his barking is not going to get him what he wants all the time...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.