Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My two year old Staffi has started to develop 'Stud Tail'. Well, I'm pretty sure its stud tail as he has a small bald patch and scab at the exact point on the tail where this condition usually appears in dogs. He has also developed a similar bald spot on his head between the ears (also apparently linked with stud tail).

Last month our vet took skin scrapings from our dogs head (before the tail patch appeared) but the results showed NO mite or fungus infection.

It was only recently I heard about stud tail but all the symptoms seem to point to it. I've read that it is related to heightened testosterone levels, which makes sense given his recent uncharacteristic behaviour. We've had to remove him from doggy day care because of his recent boisterousness.

I've also read this is not something to be concerned about as its quite common in bull breeds. However, what does concern me is why does he have this as he was neutered this time last year!?
His routine and diet hasn't changed for a while and we try to keep him mentally stimulated.

Has anyone else heard of this or have any alternative ideas?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yes, my dog also had a mild case of "stud tail", and he had been neutered almost a year before that. It made no sense at all, until I read that the same condition can result from flea-allergy dermatitis. Even though I never ever see a flea on him, or flea dirt, I noticed that he was very itchy for a day or so after daycare. Since I began treating him with topical flea treatment again, and adding fish oil w/ omega-3's to his diet, the area has cleared up completely.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
My (neutered) dog gets it. I clean the gland area gently with Dawn and water every couple months or so and that's enough to keep it at bay. For more stubborn instances, you may need to try a benzoyl peroxide. Basically, it's an overactive secreting gland. The oils, etc. can make everything gunky and clog the pores, so you can treat it like you would acne.

Severe cases where the gland is really inflamed or infected should see a vet for medical intervention but... Mild cases really aren't much more than a cosmetic issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, my dog also had a mild case of "stud tail", and he had been neutered almost a year.
My (neutered) dog gets it.
Thank you both for your replies. Do you also noticed a difference in behaviour due to the increased levels of testosterone? Apparently this is the cause of stud tail.

Update: I have taken my dog to the vet and although she had not heard of stud tail before, she did take some blood to send away for for analysis and testosterone level.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It will be interesting to see the results, please keep us posted. To clarify--I don't think my dog has excess testosterone. He has never exhibited any kind of sexual behavior. I really think the flea irritation was the sole cause of his issue (though it was quite mild, mostly flaky skin and constant itchiness in that area).

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. Do you also noticed a difference in behaviour due to the increased levels of testosterone? Apparently this is the cause of stud tail.

Update: I have taken my dog to the vet and although she had not heard of stud tail before, she did take some blood to send away for for analysis and testosterone level.
In general, or when it flares up? Hard to say if I see a cycle. My dog is generally same-sex intolerant and likes to play macho man and try to incite fights and hump if I were to let him sooo... I dunno. I've never given much thought to any correlation. He was neutered young too, at 5 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got the blood result back from the lab. His testosterone levels are well below normal, almost untraceable. This confirms that its not 'studs tail'. They found no other anomalies in his blood and no mites or fungus on his skin. A fit and healthy dog... go figure?!

The next step would be sedation and a biopsy. However, I don't want to put the poor guy under any unnecessary stress or discomfort so I think I'll just monitor the situation for now and maybe use Pappi Pups advice with the flea treatment and omega 3. If there are no signs of improvement over the next couple of months, I'll take him back.

Thank you for all your help and advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts