Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an approximately 6 yr old female/spayed Norfolk terrier. We also have a 6 yr old male/neutered Boston terrier and they are very close. Just to give some background: we rescued our Norfolk when she was about 2 yrs so I don't know what her life was like prior to me adopting her, but she has pretty severe anxiety quite frequently--deathly afraid of fireworks and thunderstorms, fearful of men she doesn't know, and is just generally amped up quite a bit. We believe she was a stray and lost a litter of puppies at a young age.

Over the past year I've noticed a strange behavior in her--anytime we've introduced a new pet to the house, she becomes obsessed with this new animal. She doesn't show aggression, she just wants to groom it and be near at all times, and she whines when she can't see them. She did this with my cat who is now 1 yr (I'm glad to report they became fast friends after the initial introduction), but now she's showing the same interest in a rabbit we've rescued. She has taken to climbing into his crate with him and just nuzzling him/grooming/guarding him nonstop. Thankfully the rabbit doesn't seem to mind and he almost seems to enjoy the attention at times, but I've had to just separate them because she comes on so strong and I don't want to stress the bunny out. Is this her mothering instincts kicking in? I'm hoping she gets over her fixation like she did with our cat, but I'd love to know why she's doing this and how I can make her feel more confident and secure about this new addition to the family. **Sorry for the long question!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.