Dog Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I will tell two stories that might change your mind about your dog not staying in your yard.
One my brother-in-law lives on a farm nearest farm is not close he went to feed his pigs saw a dog went back in house grabbed gun and killed it (keep in mind he has chickens too and had 2 killed recently). Turned out to be the neighboring farms pet.
Second when I was stationed in Va a neighbors dog was an escape artist stayed on their property for the most part. Two teenage kids decided it would be funny to see him drink an anti-freeze concoction the owner came home to a dead dog. The teens did get in trouble though.
I think I would rather fix any issues and keep my dog safely on my property then have an incident like above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I was a teenager, my family owned a french poodle. He was old and had health problems (cataracts, heart problems and barked a lot). One day he disappeared. We called and called for the dog, spent hours looking for him but could never find him. We had drug dealers leaving next door to us at the time and suspected they were responsible. Today, forty years on, I just found out what happened to him from my mom. He had apparently gotten out of the back porch and wandered down the street. One of my "neighbors" found him and promptly had him euthanized without telling a single member of my family. She confessed this to my mom over a decade later, and I just found out about it today. I am traumatized by the raw gall of this woman. That was not her call to make and certainly not without consulting my family first. The very fact that she didn't talk to my parents first more or less demonstrates she knew it was wrong. I have no sympathy for this kind of "do-gooder" neighbors. This was the first dog I ever had, and I never even got the chance to tell him goodbye. At any rate, sharing this here. Really shook up today by all this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, I am Benji. I am a much smaller dog than your 3 dogs but I have also been known to jump super high. However, My new forever home parents do not leave me unsupervised unless I am in my crate. They know that not everyone understand or knows me the way they do. I also am very friendly and have a play yodel/bark. Perhaps you may want to try using a Tie Run for the dogs if you are wanting to leave them unsupervised. Make sure it isn't close to the fence so they wont jump and end up hurting themselves. My mom has also seen owners use electrical collars to keep pets within a certain border of a home. That may be helpful. Good Luck! I know when I was at a kill shelter I was very scared of being euthanized. It is not the best situation. But I am grateful that now I have two parents to watch over me and make sure they are my pack leaders. Otherwise I would probably get myself in a ton of trouble.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have a 3/4 Poodle 1/4 Golden that can jump my 7 foot fence. My place looks like a prison with my high fences but even though she has never gone anywhere, she has a habit of really smiling which to some people might consider growling so I have added more height to all my fences so there is no way she can get over them even though I live in the country and she has never bothered anyone.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts