Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have three dogs. One 9 year old German shepherd, a 2 year old German shepherd mix, and a 2 year old mutt. They are all really good dogs that are quite friendly to people they know.

The problem is the two younger ones are escape artists. The German shepherd mix (Zoey) is very confident and acts like she rules the world. She has a funny little growl that she does when she is playing that is completely different from her serious growl. The mutt (Galaxy) is a little more shy around people. When they are introduced to strangers by my family they generally friendly. When they get into our front yard by jumping our fence they get angry at people who come to close to our house. Zoey will run to confront the people and try to chase them away. Galaxy stays his distance and barks at people.

My neighbor is a dog trainer who thinks she knows everything about dogs. Zoey left our yard once and went into her yard while she was outside. Zoey went up to her and started doing her play growl. She thought Zoey was going to attack her so she is claiming that Zoey is very dangerous and needs to be put down. The neighbor came to our house and explained this to us and told us why she is right.

Why did not put our dog down and the two younger ones got out again yesterday morning. Later that day a police officer stopped by and told us he had been getting some complaints about all three of our dogs getting out and running around the neighborhood. He told us that if any of the dogs get out again, animal control will come and pick up all of them.

First of all the older german shepherd (Fred) never gets out, and Zoey and Galaxy rarely leave our yard. I have tried to make it so Zoey and Galaxy can't climb the fence but it is only 4 ft tall and Zoey can climb anything and Galxy just jumps over it. Can they really take all my dogs away even if they aren't causing any trouble? Is it really my neighbors decision to have my dogs put down?

In order the pictures are of Galaxy, Zoey, and Fred. Fred is also a girl by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
To be objective here, you are responsible for your dogs and some people understandably have an issue with them getting out.

You need to be able to supervise your dogs if they are getting out or keep them inside, if you're not home to do so. You're risking your dog's well-being if they get out and get hit by a car, etc.

If your dogs are in your yard/house at all times and under your control - as they should be - you won't have your neighbor in your business, most likely.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Your neighbor may be a pain in the rear, but it IS your job to keep them secure in your yard. They should be supervised when you let them out-and if you're not fast enough to catch them climbing the fence, then supervised with a tie out.

Yes, they can really take away your dogs. They may not have grounds to euthanize but it is your negligence in keeping them contained and supervised that is putting you in this situation (not to sound harsh!). It sucks that your neighbor isn't more forgiving, but it is your responsibility to keep them contained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They dogs do not leave my yard but my neighbor has told the police that they do. There has only been one instance where Zoey left the yard.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
If they can climb the fence they cannot be left unsupervised there.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Showing you're doing something about it-ie staying outside and supervising-will still help the situation, since you can watch what happens sooner to ensure she doesn't get out again. If the complaints are enough for the police to come threaten to take your dogs away, I would take that seriously regardless of the situation.

If she's only escaped once, why do you call her an escape artist?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I seriously would not put my dog down for that! Your neighbor seems lovely.

But you do have to keep your dogs on your property, even if it is difficult or not ideal. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but I would NOT be happy with a neighbors dog getting into my yard and barking at me.

You may have to use a tie out or supervision (if your dogs will listen and not jump with you there) if you do not have the money to build a higher fence.

It probably depends on where you live, calling animal control and asking them what will happen is your best bet. But they will probably fine you at first and then they can take your dogs away if they are running loose.

My biggest issue would be that not everyone is a good person and if your dog is loose someone can be a jerk or feel they are protecting themselves/their dog or child/property and injure your dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I call her an escape artist because she can get over any fence and out of any pen but she does not leave our property

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Personally, I'm failing to see the "bad guy" here. The dogs really shouldn't be left unsupervised in a yard they can escape from. A 4 foot fence is not adequate for dogs of that size. Even if they don't leave the front yard once they escape, someone walking down the street doesn't know that. Also, nobody else knows your dog the way you do, strangers aren't going to know whether your dog is doing her play growl or her aggressive growl. I think you need to take a step back and realize that you're also part of the problem, not just your neighborhood.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
When they get into our front yard by jumping our fence they get angry at people who come to close to our house. Zoey will run to confront the people and try to chase them away. Galaxy stays his distance and barks at people.
This is also the problem. I understand she is protecting her territory but people can misinterpret that as being attacked.

Also you talk of a play growl that is different. That's great that you know that but a stranger does not. Neither does your neighbor who was confronted by a large growling dog in her front yard.

Sounds like you need to supervise more. If the dogs are outside you are outside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My question is, can they take the dogs out of our front yard? That is what my neighbor is threating to do. We have shown her the difference in her play growl and her angry growl but she still insists that she is right.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
You said they got out again yesterday morning...

When are they outside? Is that here they live? Out for bathroom only, playtime, etc?

You have large dogs, that have proven to be able to escape and your fence is four feet. Can you look at a higher fence? Or better yet, supervise them when they are outside. If they are out while you're at work/school/errands/whatever look into bringing them in and crate training or doing a dog safe room for them to stay in.

There are many options, you just need to take the steps to be responsible for your dogs and keep them contained.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
99 Posts
They dogs do not leave my yard but my neighbor has told the police that they do. There has only been one instance where Zoey left the yard.
This one?

Zoey left our yard once and went into her yard while she was outside.

In honestly, it sounds like a terrifying ordeal for your neighbor. What a "funny little growl" is to you is not funny when it's a strangers escaped dog growling at you! Especially in your own back yard! People want to feel secure in their own yards without the fear of someone's dog coming in and growling at them!

Also you say:

When they get into our front yard by jumping our fence they get angry at people who come to close to our house.
So how do you know she was doing a playful growl and not an aggressive growl unless you were there? But even that is beside the point in all this... If I were you, I would be worried about my dogs safety regarding escape just as much as encroaching on the properties of others. If your dog is out of your property, anything could happen to them. They could eat something toxic, get hit by a car, completely go missing, be taken by someone... Don't just worry about your dogs annoying neighbors or being taken away, do something about this for their welfare.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you can NOT be out there with them: just use a long tether to keep them just out of reach of that fence. Better safe than sorry! Even though they may not attack anyone, what happens one day they hop the fence and get slammed by a speeding car??

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
From what my understanding is of Animal control if the dogs are not contained by something, fence line etc, then they can be taken. You could also be looking at some hefty fines as well. Can they take your older dog? Probably not. But they will take the 2 that get out. And if the one gets to the shelter and growls or snaps at someone they can deem the dog aggressive and euthanize.

A growl is a growl is a growl. I wouldn't believe you either to be honest.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Well if the dogs are caught by AC running loose they'll take them in and you'd have to pay a fee to get them out. Now as to whether or not the dogs would be euthanized I think it's doubtful unless they actually bite someone...

Either way I'd work on making sure your dogs stay on your property. My fence jumper has a tie out and is never allowed loose in the back yard without supervision, but I plan to eventually build her a proper chain spot(or a secured enclosure) for her when she goes outside as my dog getting loose is absolutely not an option because if she gets out and get's into trouble I'll more than likely end up with a dead dog on my hands considering she's a "pit bull" and any little thing would probably end up blown out of proportion and she'd be deemed vicious and dangerous for the smallest incident even if she meant no harm

·
Registered
741 Posts
My neighbor next door has a BMMC named Scout, and her and Chewy love to run up and down the fence and run together. A few times I'v caught her attempting to jump the chain link fence and come into our yard. Whenever I see this I, I stop it.

I had Chewy and Banjo (puppy) in the yard a few weeks ago and this was too much for Scout to handle and she ended up bolting over the fence to come see us.

I walked her right back into her own yard and let my neighbors know what happened. They were really disappointed (so was I) and decided Scout was no longer allowed out in the yard when we were out there, they could't risk her getting excited and hopping the fence.

Although it majorly SUCKS I totally understand, totally and completely. Now I have to knock on their door and as if Scout can come out if I keep an eye on her.

If you don't want to tether the dogs you could check out an electric fence option to keep them in your yard (although I hate the idea of those and won't get one myself)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I call her an escape artist because she can get over any fence and out of any pen but she does not leave our property
She does leave your yard. She went into the neighbors yard and growled. If she has done it once she will do it again. I would suggest getting a new taller fence and put a roll bar on the top.
I would take a second and put yourself in your neighbors shoes. How would you like to feel afraid to walk down the street? How would you feel if a large dog charged you while you were walking down the street you live on?

I also have an escape artist so I understand how hard it can be but it's your job to make sure your dogs are safe and that everyone is safe from your dogs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts