Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone

my mother has got me paranoid that my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x may be overweight.
Though I'm not sure what she's mixed with.

She visited the other day and exclaimed that she's looking a bit podgy. (she weighs 17.4 pounds at 8 months) She gets 1 cup of food each day, half for breakfast and half for dinner, with 1 small beef stick each evening, she takes a 30 minute walk each afternoon also.

(My mother owned a Papillon in the past which was overweight)

Looking at the pictures what is your honest opinion? do I need to get her on a diet, shall I take her to the vet for a checkup and some guidance? She's an active and happy puppy.

thanks for your time

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
well she doesn't look too slim.
i like my dogs more on the slimmer side (slim not underweight).
I wouldn't necessarily reduce food, because she doesn't look extremely overweight to me either... but perhaps she could need more exercise?
How much exercise does she get every day?
perhaps she needs longer walks.
If she's healthy, at 8 months she should have atleast one walk that's around 40 minutes long and 2 shorter potty walks in the morning and in the evening.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just looks a bit pudgy to me. I wouldn't worry too much yet, a lot of puppies go through this when it's time to switch to adult food. If you're still feeding puppy food, I'd switch to an adult food. Also, she may just need a bit less food. The back of the bag doesn't always have the best suggestions for recommended measurements, usually they suggest more. I have a 29lb moderately active dog that, on average, gets one cup a day, an extra third of a cup if she's worked hard that day. Most bags will tell me to feed a cup and a half or more, even if she were sedentary. When your dog is at this age, finding an adult food that works and adjusting food intake as the metabolism changes is important.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I agree, she's a little pudgy, but certainly not "fat". Puppy food is super high calorie, and at 8 months she might be ready to start making the switch to adult food. I would also up her exercise a little bit. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I agree, a little pudgy. A bit less food, a bit more exercise. Worked wonders for my two older boys. They are nice and trim now, mostly. The basset still has a little more to go.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Agree with what everyone else has said. She's a little over weight, try cutting the food down by 10% and see what happens

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I also agree with the comments above, just a little less food and more walk and exercises. But I would also recommend to ask for advice of a veterinarian who knows better which diet to choose (if it's needed) for your dog. If you need I could advise you a good resource with a list of veterinarians whom you can ask for an advice: https://www.hirerush.com/anywhere/service/veterinary

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I agree, she's too heavy for me. Nothing extreme, but at her age I'd prefer her to be a little slim rather than a little heavy. I'd reduce the amount somewhat and increase her exercise. A 30 minute walk once a day isn't really that much. Of course, don't push it or make things too intense until she's done growing, but I'd add a walk in the morning as well. It should help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
She's got the beginnings of a gut! Mine gets the same, I thought she was in great shape until our trainer told us to change treats as she's getting fat. What?? Thing is, she was right, and it's a lot easier to prevent weight gain than slim them down, as they really resent getting less calories. ;)

I agree with adding in more exercise, and reduction of calories. I added some pureed pumpkin in to Fin's meals and cut back the quantity of food, and after 5 weeks she'd slimmed back down. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yup, the first picture is the most telling. This is the chart in my vet's office: How to Evaluate Your Dog's Weight - For Dummies
To me, your dog looks like the 'heavy' picture. In the 'ideal' picture, the body goes slightly inward between the ribs and back leg muscles. I do not see this "tuck" in your puppy.

Also, when you pet them, you should be able to feel their ribs as if they are wearing a light t-shirt over top. If the padding over their ribs feels more like a warm sweater, they are carrying some excess weight.

Talk to your vet about switching to adult food or reducing the puppy food. Adding in a second walk (or more exercise) would also help in keeping your dog at nice health weight.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i dont think she is fat, she is a pup, puppy fat, she will soon loose it, walking and running about! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts