Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I found it mainly because I have finally gotten annoyed with my dog peeing on himself. Our Min pin (Mojo) is now 6 years old, and he always pees on his belly and chest when he goes outside, it doesn't matter if he's on a leash, or if he is free.

The reason for this is because when we got Mojo as a puppy, my brother was very inpatient, and we lived in an apartment. So every time he would take him outside for a walk to go pee, he would pull on Mojo's leash, therefor training him to pee on a weird angle. Now every day, I need to give Mojo a bath, and if I don't he smells like pee, and everything he lays on smells like pee. Is there a way I can prevent my dog from peeing on himself?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
No sure about changing the way he pees but could you use a vest with a waterproof inner to stop it getting on his fur?

Some questions:

Does he pee on himself every time without fail?
Does he know any dogs that don't do this?
What type of training are you using/have used?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Does the dog squat or lift his leg? Ours Pin still pees on his front leg periodically when the leg is up. Doesn't seem to care.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I wonder if you could essentially shape a "pee position". Kind of like if people shape their dogs for conformation stacking.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I'm imagining a dog that was pulled when trying to pee, crunched up trying to resist?

I'll tell you something, our male minpin always squat to pee - until he witnessed other male dogs lifting their legs to pee. He caught on pretty quick.

Maybe a mentor male would help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mojo pees with his leg up, he does not squat, and we have 2 other female dogs, that squat, and yes he was pulled, because like I said, I had an impatient brother that just wanted to get inside. He also does it every time, not once does he not pee on himself.

We have not tried any training cause we are unsure how to go about it. That's why I am here.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It's definitely a tough one, I'd use a splash guard to help avoid it getting on his skin then watch him and see if he splashes himself every time. If you notice there are times when he doesn't pee on himself I'd invest in a clicker to click and reward every time he misses himself. If he pees on himself every time I'd get a vet to check him in case there is something anatomical causing the problem.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's definitely a tough one, I'd use a splash guard to help avoid it getting on his skin then watch him and see if he splashes himself every time. If you notice there are times when he doesn't pee on himself I'd invest in a clicker to click and reward every time he misses himself. If he pees on himself every time I'd get a vet to check him in case there is something anatomical causing the problem.
Please explain how the heck a dog would understand that the click followed by a treat meant " Well done! You didn't pee on yourself". :ponder:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Please explain how the heck a dog would understand that the click followed by a treat meant " Well done! You didn't pee on yourself". :ponder:
I'm assuming that the click and treat would be rewarding the stance and pose that the pup is peeing. Not rewarding him for not peeing on himself per say, but actually rewarding the action he's doing that's causing him not to pee on himself. @Chas may have different reasoning. But that's what I took from it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Sure. I did miss the part where the click is paired with the reward so the dog understands click = good things.

1. Click then immediately treat until dog seems to anticipate the reward. This primes the dog as described above.
2. Click only when dog misses himself. Eventually through trial and error the dog should realize that peeing in that way gets a reward. This would take a while but the OP has already waited it out for 6 years so seems pretty patient.
3. Dog does behavior more often to get reward. Dogs muscles start developing muscle memory for that action so hopefully that would lead to it happening more and more until it becomes second nature.

This is what I would do in this case, I'm not sure what the other options would be.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Clicking a specific pose did occur to me but I'm not sure how to go about illiciting a different pose. It's a good idea though, so if the op notices a pose that results in the dog not peeing onthemselves they could click that.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
This one is a bit of a tuffy. Could it be that he also just doesn't have that great of aim coupled with position? Also not sure if you mentioned it but what position is he going in that causes him to pee on himself?

The only thing that I can think of suggesting at the moment is investing in dog bath wipes, that way you don't need to keep bathing each time and can quickly just wipe the area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts