Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first praying mantis over the summer. We have them here in Maine, but up until I ordered mine I had never seen a mantis in person. I work at a summer camp and was going to order monarch caterpillars for my campers (I used to raise them every summer). But by the time my money transferred into paypal, the monarch garden was all out of caterpillars and said that they wouldn't be getting anymore for another week or so. So I decided that I would look into getting a mantis instead. One of my friends said it would be a great choice too, because many children raise monarchs in school or see them around, but mantis are more difficult to come by. Thus, my long search for a mantis began and I eventually found an online insect store in Oregon. I ordered my Chinese mantis nymph, as well as a starter kit, and he arrived in the mail at camp the next day! Several folks help me name him, some being my 15-17 year old campers and some being co-counselors. So it was, that the nymph was named, Mr. Susan. S. Winky. He actually just molted again yesterday. Im setting up a new habitat for him. The website I got him from now has Orchid Mantis as well. My brother's wife said she may order one for me as an early birthday gift, but I have to say that im interested in the painted-wings as well. Anyway, that was my long story, lol.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
That's awesome :), I would love to have mantis at some point. I especially love the orchid matis's . We don't really have any around here either. I think ive only seen one once or twice and they were the ones that look like sticks.

Is he full grown now? Also love the name :)

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome :), I would love to have mantis at some point. I especially love the orchid matis's . We don't really have any around here either. I think ive only seen one once or twice and they were the ones that look like sticks.

Is he full grown now? Also love the name :)
Not full grown yet, but getting there! It actually turns out that it's a female and not a male! I got the stripes confused, haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts