Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great weekend in Atlanta at my sisters wedding. During that time I had my dog boarding with Animal Medical Center, Brandon. This was his third time there and I thought nothing of it, when I left him there for 5 days. He was happy, and howling, paws up on the counter (big 124lb puppy)
I get back yesterday, eager to pick him up and the vet calls to say he had a heart attack!! The **** you say? I told him this kind of news is best delivered in person and I would be in shortly.
I am an Army disabled vet, and I want to think, I have seen a lot, done a lot and can take a hell of a lot...but seeing my dog on the table, a mere shell, blank stare and tongue lolled; I lost it man.
I told them they had better get to the bottom of this. How can a 2 3/4 year old Alaskan Malamute built to last, just up and die. The necropsy was inconclusive...meaning he looked fine...so no one knows. The hardest part for me, I thought was breaking it to my 12 year old daughter, but no, it was telling my wife deployed to Baghdad, via Skype that the dog who howled and lost it every time she came home, would no longer be there to greet her. When she lost it, I lost it. I am not even sure I want another dog. I have no defense for this kind of loss. Sorry for the vent, but it's been less than 24 hrs and my teeth are grinding.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. I went through something similar with a 4 year-old Persian cat. Had always brought him to the same groomer, never an issue. I got a call at 1pm from them and I was thinking they were calling me to tell me he was ready to be picked up, but instead they told me "We are sorry to tell you but your cat just lay down and died while we were grooming him". I still remember falling to my knees and screaming, and then running the 6 blocks in the pouring rain to go see him. I know just how it feels to see the lifeless body on the table, with them just saying "sorry, we have no idea what happened" over and over again. I did ask for a necropsy and all they could tell me was that it appeared his heart was "slightly" enlarged, so he could have had an undiagnosed cardiac issue. It's been 15 years and I will still never forget that day and I always get so angry thinking about it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kainedogg, please do not be sorry for venting. It's totally normal and its so hard to handle a loss of a pet, I know! I am sooo sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My condolences. : (

I know every situation is different, but my brother had a 3 year old lab mix, and one day upon coming home from work, his dog didn't run out and greet him. My brother found her curled up like she did when sleeping, but she was dead. He had the vet look into it, and the vet said she had a brain embolism and she more than likely just died in her sleep. This dog had never shown any sign of health issues.

So, sometimes, yeah, a young dog can die and it's no one's fault.
But, I know if I were in your shoes, I too would be suspicious. : (

I hope sometime in the future you will bring another dog into your home. There's no way to replace what you've lost, but another dog can sure fill out that emptiness that seems to be a part of the house, after one loses a pet

Stormy

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss����.

We lost our 2 year old chocolate lab suddenly after her spay surgery. She was fine one second and dead the next. All our vet could figure out was that a piece of fat broke off and got into her blood stream. When it got to her heart it immediately killed her. I have never seen my mom cry as hard as she did while taking her back to the vet. It took her a long time to move on from loosing nixie and even longer to find a dog she connected with.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's almost harder to lose them so young. :( Not saying losing an older dog is easy, but when my young Greyhound unexpectedly passed away it was so hard because it was such a shock. I feel like when you see a chronically ill or senior dog slowly decline you have time to prepare mentally. One morning my Grey was snuggling with me and running laps of the house, and the next he was gone and I was digging his grave.

So sorry for your family's loss. :(

·
Registered
495 Posts
Oh, my word. I am so sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is always hard, but it's so much worse when it's so unexpected. Huge hugs to you and your family. I am so sorry.

My in-laws also lost a young dog unexpectedly. He was somewhere between 2 and 3, and he had been totally normal and fine all day... and then he was just gone. Sometimes it happens that way. I know that likely won't help much, but maybe knowing you're not alone in losing a dog so young and unexpectedly will help with the grieving. <3

Reactions: StormyPeak
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.