Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there. We have a 10-year-old yellow lab. We got her at 8 as a rescue. I didn't notice this early on, but she now jumps like she's been shot at the smallest sound (setting my coffee cup down, for example). Oddly, although she isn't thrilled with thunder or fireworks, she isnt overly fearful, either. It's any small noise. If I am in the kitchen, she invariably leaves and goes in the bedroom, because it's too noisy and there is too much activity. She has had full vet workups and is perfectly healthy, though stiffening up a bit. She gets regular exercise. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Have you considered running a radio or TV at a low volume as a 'white noise' for background? We have a white noise machine that we run at night, as both my hubby and I are light-ish sleepers, and it seems to help. For relaxation purposes, that might do the trick for your girl.

It's bewildering how these strange anxieties develop, seemingly overnight in some instances. For example, some years ago, Tiger, our 5-6 year old suddenly was alarmed at this inflatable shark that my hubby has hanging from the ceiling in the garage. It was spinning and swinging in the breeze, and it's not like it was ever used as a torture device for our pampered puppies, but there it was, terrifying poor Tiger. And it wasn't hung the evening before, it had been there for several months, but he may have only just noticed it that day. Who knows.

In your girl, perhaps she was startled badly when she was home alone, maybe? It really could be anything. But desensitization is the name of the game. Some lengthy time with some muffling background noise might do the trick. I'm sure there are others on the forums with some better ideas, too! Best of wishes you you and your girl!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I second some white noise played at a loud enough volume it dulls other noises but not loud enough to get in the way of you daily routine. Poor girl, sounds like a stressful life to lead.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you mhop and Supaflyskye, for your white noise suggestions. The problem is that she still has amazing hearing. So for example, we have a window AC which has been running a lot this summer, and is running right now. She is in that room with me, and I just moved something on my nightstand and she just jumped right up. She is also frequently in with me when the television is on, and it's the same thing. Basically, if she can go to another room where no one is, she will do that and seems pretty content. That may be the best we can do right now, but I'm also considering asking my vet about medication. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There is an active post in the Health forums about an elderly dalmation that is having a great deal of difficulty staying asleep at night. She's dealing with other difficulties, but a post by Rain was very instrumental in leading me to what might be a helpful solution in your case, particularly the last link she has there.

On that page, about midway down are some suggestions for dealing with Canine Cognitive Disorder, which probably isn't an issue with your girl, but it was the tip about melatonin that caught my eye. I found this page which will hopefully be helpful in taking your girl down a notch or two on the anxiety scale and help her relax when she should be relaxing. The best part about melatonin, is the human formulation can be given to our dogs. You could give this a try and if it doesn't work, see what the vet has to suggest.

I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for your response. I think that melatonin may be the way to go, although I'm going to check with my vet first. I hadnt thought of melatonin, but I know how it relaxes me ha ha so why not her! I will try to remember to let you know. I forget absolutely everything these days��

·
Registered
519 Posts
Can you CC her to random noises? So before you move a coffee cup or anything like, toss some treats her way. Also, I would look into talking to a holistic vet about essential oils. They have some that are meant for helping relaxation which can help settle her mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for this advice, mjan1121. I have tried neither of these, but they are good ideas and it's definitely worth a shot. ��

1 - 8 of 8 Posts