Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting him the shots needed to where he can finally be able to go outside, Its been a process cause he is too young to get the shots, THis week he will finally be old enough, So I bought a little harness and I let him play with it and tried to make it a not new thing to him. But the very second I slipped it over his head he literally went nuts and bit me.

Any suggestions? I hear collars are really dangerous for puppies,

·
Super Moderator
217 Posts
It sounds more like a fear bite, not anger. Remember, he's probably never even seen a harness before - let alone been expected to wear one. You took it way too fast (not a criticism, I've done the same mistake myself and I'm still putting it right now).

Go back to basics. Don't just let him play with the harness -, reward him for doing so. Then open and close it around him, so that he gets used to the sound -, praise/click and rewarding him for being calm with the sound, make him see it's a good thing.

Next, put a treat in the hole where his head will go, and let him take the treat. Slowly work up to that he has to actually put his head all the way through the hole to get the treat - at this point, if he tries to go around and get the treat without putting his head through the hole, he doesn't get the reward.

Finally (and this is the part I'm up to), once he's happy to step into/put his head in the harness, try closing it again - treat, and immediately open/release him from the harness. He needs to feel safe in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right I did it way to fast, But I am really liking your idea, especially since he is getting the hang of the whole treat thing, Thank you I am going to start on this.

·
Super Moderator
217 Posts
Your right I did it way to fast, But I am really liking your idea, especially since he is getting the hang of the whole treat thing, Thank you I am going to start on this.
You're welcome. :)

Once you can close the harness with him in it, you can then slowly start to build up the length of time between putting him in the harness, and releasing him.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same concern and did the same mistake. He freaked and shook around, rubbed against my new soft rug to get it off poor dude. He's 9 weeks today so i'll try the treat thing as well. Hope I didn't ruin it. I think i'll give it a few days until I try again. Oof learning how to deal with puppies!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same concern and did the same mistake. He freaked and shook around, rubbed against my new soft rug to get it off poor dude. He's 9 weeks today so i'll try the treat thing as well. Hope I didn't ruin it. I think i'll give it a few days until I try again. Oof learning how to deal with puppies!
I went first and purchased a new harness different color, (Thought he may remember the old one probably not ) Then I printed out LMMB suggestions I followed it to t and Last night I actually got my little guy to take a short I mean down the hall and back walk and I will tell you if not for that advise I would be in trouble. It works

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went first and purchased a new harness different color, (Thought he may remember the old one probably not ) Then I printed out LMMB suggestions I followed it to t and Last night I actually got my little guy to take a short I mean down the hall and back walk and I will tell you if not for that advise I would be in trouble. It works
Nice! I too followed the advice and it was night and day trying to get the collar on. He put his head through the collar to get the treat on his own. Then I slipped it over and tightened it once it was on. I got it on and left it on. Only took it off and back on again once to groom him when he was tired, no problem. He doesn't seem to notice even. I haven't done the leash yet, but i'm more ready for it now.

·
Super Moderator
217 Posts
This post has made my morning! I'm sitting here with a smile on my face. Brilliant news. Well done. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
You could try starting by having a short piece of ribbon trailing from his collar in the house to get him accustomed to something being attached to it.
Will do :) I have already tried training him to walk beside me outside in the yard, but not with a lead. He is part cat lol and loves strings. So we were 'walking' the hallway back and forth with a shoelace end in his mouth 🤣

1 - 13 of 13 Posts