Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jennadog
Jenna is a Heinzie 57 - one of those terriers which can’t be anything else other than a mongrel. In appearance she is nothing special; a sort of black fox terrier look-alike but different. She has a long snout and four long legs. When she was a youngster, she could run like the wind. A flat sandy beach was to her a paradise. As she has got older, she has slowed down which is a bit sad. When she comes out for a walk these days, she manages to keep up, but she never goes out of my sight - for her sake and mine. She is a faithful little soul with her own idea of what is right and what is wrong.

She came into my life several years ago. In a way she found me, as the local boarding kennels had recommended me as being a dog lover to her first owner. I never paid a cent for this little girl. She came along with all the paperwork and a dowry of a few toys as a gift from her mom who was planning to move to Florida. I promised to take care of her.

Jenna is not the sort of dog to be locked away. She yaps like any terrier and that noise is one of those that reaches right down into one’s soul. She of course knows that, which is exactly why she does it. For Jenna to bark, there is something she is not happy about and usually that can be that as simple as her not being in on the act. Whilst the yapping noise can be an annoyance, it is a little hard to get angry about this little trait of hers because all she wants is to be with her master - all day, every day. She makes a good companion and if she is not at my feet, I look for her. She will not be far away.

There are a few little routines which come and go on a daily basis. For example whenever I have something to eat, she’ll be there sitting at my feet. She knows that I will not quite finish the plate, there will always be a smidgen left and she expects it. Immediately she has eaten it, then OK she is off but one thing is for sure: I must never clear the plate - the last bite is hers. It is a deal between her and me.

Then there is DiDi - the horse. Jenna knows that each morning at around 8.00am the horse is on the agenda. The horse has to be fed, watered and put out. As I move towards the door, Jenna is there just behind me. As I open the car door, I hesitate and she jumps in. Not a word is spoken. We drive up to the yard, I open the door and Jenna jumps out to do the sniffing. Sniffing is going around the stable barn, checking to see what vermin has been roaming around over night. In fact there are eight yard cats making sure that nothing with a pointed snout and a long tail gets to mooch around but to Jenna one terrier is worth eighteen cats. Of one thing I am sure, if she does catch anything vaguely rodent like, it is dead meat. DiDi need not worry about her feed being gobbled up by some lowlife.

At the stable yard I keep an eye on her. She is not as nimble as once she was. There are a few lumps and bumps here and there but we don’t ask what they are. I am fairly certain she has lost most of her hearing and I don’t believe she sees too well either. So I never let her go too far away. More important is the need to watch out carefully so that she doesn’t get too close to the horse’s hooves - there are 350lbs of weight in each steel shod foot. But not to take her with me would upset her terribly. So she always goes.

When it is time to go to bed, invariably she’ll be asleep on the couch. I’ll give her a little nudge and she will make her own way out into the garden. I hear the flap go once on the way out and once again on the way in. Then there is a pad-pad on the stairs and into the bedroom she will slip. She’ll look around for something I have worn which I will have conveniently dropped on the floor by the bed. Of course, something big and woolly is ideal. She scuffle and snuffle and make it comfy. Then she’ll lay down and close her eyes. She’ll stay still until about 7.45 each morning.

Seemingly there is an alarm clock in her head. She’ll get up and go and look for Rocky the Rottie. He will be asleep downstairs, but he knows that the biscuit hunt will be on and he’ll wake up pretty quick. “Biscuit hunt?“ well that’s another story.

Another day has begun. As far as Jenna is concerned, another day, spent in exactly the same routine with me, is what she is looking forward to.
And pretty much every day, so am I.

It is time to do DiDi. Jenna is waiting for me to open the car door.

R D D

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Awww-you are such an amazing writer :)

Do tell-what kind of horses do you have? How many?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts