Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to do or what's causing it, but my little Shichon puppy was doing so well with the house training until two days ago. His stomach has been upset, and his stools have been loose. The vet can't get him in until next week, and I have no idea what's causing it. I'm sure that is the main culprit for the sudden reversal in bathroom habits, but it doesn't explain why he refuses to go outside all of the sudden. For the past two days, I've woken up to piles of poo in the entry way of my home. I feel bad for the little guy because I know he isn't feeling well, but his behavior is odd.

He finished three weeks of obedience training and went from hell-on-wheels to a great little pup. He was going to the back door and wagging his tail every time he needed to go out, but now when I take him outside, he literally runs the opposite direction on his leash back toward the door to go inside. He acts literally frantic to get inside, and I've realized it's because he's "saving it" for the entry way of my home. When I take him out lately, he isn't cooperative on his leash and all he does is eat random leaves and sticks on the ground, or he'll just plop down on the grass and sit there staring off into space at nothing. It's so weird. He pulls me on the leash, running toward the door to go in, and absolutely refuses to poop outside. He goes number 1 but not number 2. It's so frustrating!

Why the sudden and drastic change in behavior? I realize he isn't feeling well, but why does he suddenly act like his toilet is inside and not out? Plus, he acts sneaky around me whenever he needs to potty when we're inside. He sneaks off when I'm not looking and whenever I look up, he suddenly stops in his tracks. He literally waits until I'm in the middle of something and then trots off toward the entry way. It's not like he doesn't know what he's doing - that would be one thing - but he goes out of his way to walk quite a distance so he can potty inside. The back door that he usually goes out of is only three steps away. Why is he doing this?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
The stomach illness is almost certainly responsible for starting the problem. Understand that when a pup has loose stool, he has almost no ability to "hold it" until you are around to take him out. So that starting things, then he seems to have gotten confused about where to go, which can happen because a dog goes potty where he has been going potty, if you get what I mean.

Get his tummy sorted out.
AND go back several steps in house training. Keep him confined in his crate if he has not gone number 2, and take him out again in 15 minutes. Repeat, repeat, repeat, until he succeeds. Don't give him the opportunity to make his pile inside, that is don't leave him loose to run around inside until he has done his business outside.

And be sure to reward him with a tasty treat when he goes potty outside, every time. And be sure not to scold him if he has an accident. That will simply confuse him and make him anxious. This is why he is sneaking around, because he has been scolded. The scolding only teaches him that it is not safe to potty in your sight, it does not teach him to go out side (pup does not "get" the inside/outside distinction)

In fact, scolding him may be at the root of your whole problem, because he has learned you get mad when he poops, so now he won't go in your sight, even outside.

You'll have to proceed slowly and with patience.

Reactions: noelle
1 - 2 of 2 Posts