Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I am sure you have heard this one before - I have a house trained dog, who is peeing in the house.

He generally will pee in the same exact corner in the house - so it's not a case of him peeing everywhere. I suspect since he has peed there before and can probably smell his pee even after I have cleaned it -he thinks it's OK to pee there.

The only other time he will pee anywhere else and this is weird - but if I dropped a plastic bag on the floor, he will pee on it or if I have a garbage bag tied up on the floor and ready to go out, he will pee next to the bag. He likes to pee near or on bags for some reason.

I know there are a million reasons why a dog may be peeing in the house - but since he is house trained and will pee outside generally - I am wondering what he is thinking when he decides to pee in his usual corner in the house and why he finds bags so inviting to pee on them.

Will spraying something on the wall that is supposed to repel a dog help or will he just find another wall in the house to pee on.

He is almost two years old and I am home with him all day - so it's not a case of home alone anxiety. He sometimes has peed in the house when he gets excited - is it just that he is so happy that he can't hold his pee anymore like humans when they heard about a new Star Wars? :D

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

HS

·
Registered
34 Posts
My trainer suggested blocking off the area to break the habit if he keeps going in the same spot. Not sure if this helps but something to consider :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
He's not house trained if he's voluntarily peeing in the house regularly. ;)

Clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner and go back to house training 101 - constant supervision, rewarding for urinating outside, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's not house trained if he's voluntarily peeing in the house regularly. ;)

Clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner and go back to house training 101 - constant supervision, rewarding for urinating outside, etc.

it's not a regular every day thing. He is fine generally speaking and he is certainly not pooping in the house either. Just wanted to clarify that. But thanks for the cleaner suggestion.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm afraid if a dog is peeing in the house they're either not house trained or sick. In this case your dog is peeing in the same spot which means he thinks it's an appropriate toilet area. You're right, he can smell it. Id suggest using a cleaner that doesn't have ammonia so as to not mimic the pee smell, and clean it really well. Blocking it off is also a good idea, as well as going back to basic house training lessons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts