Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to cry so much; I love my puppy but his smell is everywhere and I can't stand it.

My puppy; a 9 week old Goldendoodle is my first ever dog, he is amazing and doing well with training so far but he smells so bad. Even right out of the shower he has this toxic scent that makes me want to throw up and I have to spray the *** out of my self just to avoid passing out.

I know I sound harsh but it is true and I can't handle it anymore. I don't want to spray him perfume because I'm afraid it will irritate his skin and I have a feeling I would need to empty out the bottle to even make him tolerable.

At the pet store I couldn't find any scent removers or sprays for dogs that made a difference and every has been telling me I will grow accustomed to it , but I can't stand waiting.

I need a solution -- I am so close to reaching my breaking point.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Does he smell like urine, feces, something he rolled in, or just...dog?

You can put him on a high quality diet, raw probably being the best, but you'll never totally rid of it as he is, in fact, a dog.

Baths, IMO, will help if he has something gross on him, but even the best shampoo will still leave you with that wet dog smell.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had gone over 10 years before I got another dog when I first got my rescue Luna I thought she smelled so bad I couldn't stand it but it's just the doggy smell dogs have eventually you get use to it now I don't smell her at all lol but when I got my puppy last December he smelled different and again I couldn't stand it he's got different hair type than my other dog but now I'm getting use to his smell too
He might have an ear infection? Or something like that has he been to the vet? If not medical you might have to just wait until you get use to the smell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I want to cry so much; I love my puppy but his smell is everywhere and I can't stand it.

My puppy; a 9 week old Goldendoodle is my first ever dog, he is amazing and doing well with training so far but he smells so bad. Even right out of the shower he has this toxic scent that makes me want to throw up and I have to spray the *** out of my self just to avoid passing out.

I know I sound harsh but it is true and I can't handle it anymore. I don't want to spray him perfume because I'm afraid it will irritate his skin and I have a feeling I would need to empty out the bottle to even make him tolerable.

At the pet store I couldn't find any scent removers or sprays for dogs that made a difference and every has been telling me I will grow accustomed to it , but I can't stand waiting.

I need a solution -- I am so close to reaching my breaking point.

"Golden Retrievers are wonderful dogs, but can often emit a bad odor. Dog odor is most often caused by bacteria or yeast metabolizing secretions, especially skin oils."That is just one reference you can find about golden retriever doggie smell. I had friends with a golden and I could not stand to sit on their couch due to the strong Oder. I am surprised with the poodle it would still be so strong. I am sensitive to smells and would really have a hard time living with a smelly dog as shallow as that sounds to my own ears. They are such wonderful dog and such a great personality, but it would be a problem for me too. I hope you find it is from another reason other than just doggie smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does he smell like urine, feces, something he rolled in, or just...dog?

You can put him on a high quality diet, raw probably being the best, but you'll never totally rid of it as he is, in fact, a dog.

Baths, IMO, will help if he has something gross on him, but even the best shampoo will still leave you with that wet dog smell.
Baths don't help; apparently it's just his odor -- at this point I am just looking for a product or home rememdy that will mask or remove it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi, 'even fresh out of the shower'... agreed, wet dogs, even if clean, smell pretty rank. But yeah, dogs do have a tendency to smell like... well, dogs.

Also agree with Poppy who mentioned diet - which relates also to brnewman mentioning bacterial or yeast(or fungal) skin probs. As with people, high carb diets lead to an abundance of that & feeding a (well balanced) natural diet, rather than commercial pet food, which is high in grain or other starchy fillers(I don't buy 'grain free' as necessarily better) can greatly reduce those type issues.

In addition to less smell generally, due to less yeast etc production, a natural diet also 'promotes' less mucous production - so can be quieter breathing for 'bully' types & less 'eye snot' probs, their breath smells better, their farts(still not nice) aren't so revolting, and they do less poo(I think a lot of 'kibble' goes straight thru), which breaks down more quickly.

Their digestion works a lot better - as it should, to be able to digest bones, utilise fatty acids, and fewer allergies are seen. They're also less likely to suffer from obesity & even if they become fat, less likely to become IR. These latter points(dunno about humans digesting bones tho!) also goes for humans too! ;-)

·
Registered
179 Posts
You could try a wash of watered down apple cider vinegar(or even plain white stuff). In addition to vinegar being an 'odour eater', it can reduce yeast production & kill fungal infections. Other options could be spraying him with some *very* dilute lavender or t-tree oil.

That *should* be harmless to the dog's skin, tho I'm not 100% on that, so would check with a vet or such first.

Or you could just put some in some pawpaw ointment & put a touch of it under your nose, so you don't smell him.

I actually looked at this thread because, having 2 large, inside dogs, and it being winter - so house hasn't been aired out recently & they're inside a lot... my house smells quite doggy ATM. We who live here are largely desensitised to it(until we come home after being away for a while), but I'm very aware of the doggy smell esp in relation to non-doggy visitors. Anyone got any effective room deodorising ideas? The regular stuff you get from supermarkets are very short lived & only put a nice scent on top of the dog one. Tried leaving bowls of vinegar around, which hasn't helped...

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
So may be me but.... ime indoor dogs on quality diets and regularly groomed tend to not smell that much.
If the smell is really that bad I highly recommend a vet visit. If all clear then look at diet and perhaps also a professional groom.

And a random thought.... your puppy's coat type tends to mat very easily and close to the skin. How well are you actually combing out the coat? Like all the way to skin? As in can see skin anywhere you part fur? Add moisture to a matted coat and it can quickly result is hot spots and other health issues where bad odor is a sign.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, 'even fresh out of the shower'... agreed, wet dogs, even if clean, smell pretty rank. But yeah, dogs do have a tendency to smell like... well, dogs.

Also agree with Poppy who mentioned diet - which relates also to brnewman mentioning bacterial or yeast(or fungal) skin probs. As with people, high carb diets lead to an abundance of that & feeding a (well balanced) natural diet, rather than commercial pet food, which is high in grain or other starchy fillers(I don't buy 'grain free' as necessarily better) can greatly reduce those type issues.

In addition to less smell generally, due to less yeast etc production, a natural diet also 'promotes' less mucous production - so can be quieter breathing for 'bully' types & less 'eye snot' probs, their breath smells better, their farts(still not nice) aren't so revolting, and they do less poo(I think a lot of 'kibble' goes straight thru), which breaks down more quickly.

Their digestion works a lot better - as it should, to be able to digest bones, utilise fatty acids, and fewer allergies are seen. They're also less likely to suffer from obesity & even if they become fat, less likely to become IR. These latter points(dunno about humans digesting bones tho!) also goes for humans too! ;-)
Do you have a suggestions of brands that make higher quality food;right now he is on the Fromms' Gold Puppy food on Chewy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So may be me but.... ime indoor dogs on quality diets and regularly groomed tend to not smell that much.
If the smell is really that bad I highly recommend a vet visit. If all clear then look at diet and perhaps also a professional groom.

And a random thought.... your puppy's coat type tends to mat very easily and close to the skin. How well are you actually combing out the coat? Like all the way to skin? As in can see skin anywhere you part fur? Add moisture to a matted coat and it can quickly result is hot spots and other health issues where bad odor is a sign.
Thank you, we are taking him to the vet this week about this and especially about his hair, I realized I hadn't brushed it that well and avoided some issues down the line but it didn't make a difference with the smell.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have a suggestions of brands that make higher quality food;right now he is on the Fromms' Gold Puppy food on Chewy.
Firstly, I'm in Aus, so probably irrelevant what brands we have here - where are you in the world? Others may have more relevant suggestions.

Black Hawk is a really good quality 'kibble' & that is what I keep for 'emergency' - well, part time use. But it's still kibble & full of starch/carbs - I think of it as 'junk food' for dogs.

But I thought I mentioned(sorry if I didn't) my dogs are on a natural diet. That is, fresh meat, meaty bones, offal, fish, eggs... whole bunnies & the likes when I/they can get them...

·
Registered
18 Posts
High quality diet. I have 7 dogs (5 are great danes) and no odor. My dogs are RAW FED, which is a spieces appropriate diet.
If you alteady feed a spieces appropriate diet and have a odor issue, a veterinarian visit is in his near future I would think.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Im not sure if you have access to the same products as me, I am in South Africa. But I use Pine gel for the house to keep everything smelling sparkly fresh. I teaspoon full to a litre of water is plenty and goes very far.
Pekingese dogs tend to have smelly tears because of their bulgy eyes. And for this I use Elizabeth Ann's baby shampoo. It is not actually a soap or a shampoo. its more like a body lotion and I rub it straight on his face and just wipe his eyes with a damp cloth after. No smelly house and no smelly dog. And there is nothing in either products that can irritate my dog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts