Dog Forum banner

My GSD Covers his pee with dirt... wha???

20K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Schnauzaluv 
#1 ·
SO.... yeah.

Anyone ever seen or heard of this before?

He does it every few days, not every time he pees.
He'll pee, then decide that puddle doesnt smell as good as his other pees he's had and he uses his nose to move dirt over it.

He's new. He's about 3 1/2 years old from a GSD Rescue. His name is Whiskey.

First time I saw him do it, I just stood there and was like... :confused:

I am used to my cats covering their pee, but a male dog? WTF?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It could be that he's marking/scenting. I'm not sure if you litteraly mean cover up with dirt or scratch the area. If its what I'm thinking its relatively common, some dogs do it some don't. I know other canids do it and I think some other animal too. I cant think of the exact term for it though at the moment.

Reactions: boscoe
#6 ·
Really? That's deffinitly not what I was thinking lol.

Maybe its just a odd quirk, or to him its a form of cleanliness.

Hopefully someone else might have a better idea. Maybe you could ask your vets, they might have worked with another dog that did this or have heard of it.

#7 ·
That's hilarious. I don't think that's so much a problem as a quirk. I've never heard of a dog "Burying" urine with their nose, but I've seen my dog bury other things with her nose. Unless he's digging up the yard to dig his latrines I think you can just chalk this up to dogs having individual little weird habits just like people!

#9 ·
My 1 year old German Shepherd did something similar recently, and only once.

The ground has been frozen, snow has melted and froze - (it's January).
He P'd and it formed a little puddle. This was near the fence that had captured some leaves. He used his nose to push some leaves over the puddle. I picked up a few other leaves and dropped them nearby, and he pushed those over the puddle too. (I found this thread while looking for a possible explanation for my Boy.)

#12 ·
My dog does the same! When at the beach he sometimes digs a small hole, pees in it and then covered it up with sand. Not everytime, which is weird as well. Even stranger is, the other day I dropped my toilet paper on the floor after a pee and the he tried to cover that up as well with scraping his nose over the floor hahaah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.