Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO.... yeah.

Anyone ever seen or heard of this before?

He does it every few days, not every time he pees.
He'll pee, then decide that puddle doesnt smell as good as his other pees he's had and he uses his nose to move dirt over it.

He's new. He's about 3 1/2 years old from a GSD Rescue. His name is Whiskey.

First time I saw him do it, I just stood there and was like... :confused:

I am used to my cats covering their pee, but a male dog? WTF?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry if this is in the wrong section, its a "behavior" but maybe i should have posted it somewhere else

·
Registered
17 Posts
That Good Dog must spent his time with a cat in his puppyhood :D

If he's separated from his mother early enough, and his owner / caretaker at that time get him live with Cats, he could picked up some of cats' mannerism.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It could be that he's marking/scenting. I'm not sure if you litteraly mean cover up with dirt or scratch the area. If its what I'm thinking its relatively common, some dogs do it some don't. I know other canids do it and I think some other animal too. I cant think of the exact term for it though at the moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be that he's marking/scenting. I'm not sure if you litteraly mean cover up with dirt or scratch the area. If its what I'm thinking its relatively common, some dogs do it some don't. I know other canids do it and I think some other animal too. I cant think of the exact term for it though at the moment.
Nope, i mean literally covering the puddle with dirt using his nose. pushing the dirt using his nose over it. :confused:

Its so weird.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Really? That's deffinitly not what I was thinking lol.

Maybe its just a odd quirk, or to him its a form of cleanliness.

Hopefully someone else might have a better idea. Maybe you could ask your vets, they might have worked with another dog that did this or have heard of it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
That's hilarious. I don't think that's so much a problem as a quirk. I've never heard of a dog "Burying" urine with their nose, but I've seen my dog bury other things with her nose. Unless he's digging up the yard to dig his latrines I think you can just chalk this up to dogs having individual little weird habits just like people!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i didnt think it was a problem. I just thought it was awfully weird. i mean, normally they want to mark their territory, not cover it up. haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1 year old German Shepherd did something similar recently, and only once.

The ground has been frozen, snow has melted and froze - (it's January).
He P'd and it formed a little puddle. This was near the fence that had captured some leaves. He used his nose to push some leaves over the puddle. I picked up a few other leaves and dropped them nearby, and he pushed those over the puddle too. (I found this thread while looking for a possible explanation for my Boy.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 1 year old German Shepherd did something similar recently, and only once.

The ground has been frozen, snow has melted and froze - (it's January).
He P'd and it formed a little puddle. This was near the fence that had captured some leaves. He used his nose to push some leaves over the puddle. I picked up a few other leaves and dropped them nearby, and he pushed those over the puddle too. (I found this thread while looking for a possible explanation for my Boy.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 6mo old GSD just started this too. Pushing dirt/grass over his pee. He pushes blankets over his treats he doesn’t want to eat, but pee? I’ve never seen this

1 - 11 of 11 Posts