Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -- I am currently at my wits end in regards to my almost 3 year old Golden Setter. He has just attempted (and succeeded) at another midnight escape. I was extremely lucky to him back this time as I have been all of the other times.

It seems I have tried everything I could think of to keep him in my backyard. First he started climbing over our 6 and 7 feet tall fences after a few months. Then I constructed a chicken-wire faux inward barbed wire fence design which he just repeatedly jumped against until he broke down certain sections. I then tried attaching black gutter drainage pipes to the top of the fence so he couldn't grip and pull himself over. Now those are apparently failing. I am out of options and my fencing is a mess. I have never used a shock collar or electric fencing as I am worried he would pull himself over the fence too quickly and just never come back. I also would love to avoid that expense if at all possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am completely out of ideas.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Hi all -- I am currently at my wits end in regards to my almost 3 year old Golden Setter. He has just attempted (and succeeded) at another midnight escape. I was extremely lucky to him back this time as I have been all of the other times.

It seems I have tried everything I could think of to keep him in my backyard. First he started climbing over our 6 and 7 feet tall fences after a few months. Then I constructed a chicken-wire faux inward barbed wire fence design which he just repeatedly jumped against until he broke down certain sections. I then tried attaching black gutter drainage pipes to the top of the fence so he couldn't grip and pull himself over. Now those are apparently failing. I am out of options and my fencing is a mess. I have never used a shock collar or electric fencing as I am worried he would pull himself over the fence too quickly and just never come back. I also would love to avoid that expense if at all possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am completely out of ideas.
Why don't you just bring him inside and only take him out for potty and supervised outside time? You can crate train him to help prevent accidents until he learns, and prevent him from chewing on things when you're not able to watch.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'd second that.
either you build a real fully closed kennel that is concreted into the ground and with a lock at the door in the garden (which looks pretty ugly and makes the garden smaller) or you take the dog indoors and lock the door...problem solved.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
tieing the dog when alone can be dangerous if you use a collar.

Why should the dog stay outside anyway?
Golden Retrievers and Setters are not exactly guard dogs.

Reactions: SusanLynn

·
Registered
257 Posts
Leaving the dog outside alone is dangerous too. Having the dog escape is also dangerous. An electric fence is not an expense they really want (nor do you want to go with this option either OP), and so I assume building a legit dog kennel/run that's roofed in and with door is also out of the question.

A dog house with a tie out attached to it that is in an area where the dog can't get hung up on the tie out is a good middle ground in my opinion.

I will reiterate that none of the above options I would use. My dog and future dogs are and will always be family members who live indoors with us.

·
Registered
871 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts