Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
After an unfortunate change of landlord, my german shepherd got kicked out by the new one. As a result, she is now in a dog boarding kennel for about 12 months until I can get a new place. Does anyone know what problems I might encounter when I get her home again? At the moment I'm so busy with study, and the kennel is so far away (because I picked a good one) that I can only visit her for a lovely catchup and long walk about every 6 weeks. Any feedback would be appreciated......
Cheers Jewels

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
depends...is she going to be interacted with at the kennel daily? How old is she?

som' dogs shutdown and hide, some dogs go kennel crazy and wig out. Have you gone to see her yet? how was she acting?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Jewels-find a lawyer-if the previous agreement allowed dogs, you need to be 'grandfathered' in.

Universities with law schools will often give free legal counsel. You are entitled to your dog back at the very least, and perhaps the cost of kenneling too. That's not right for them to change rules-they can only do that for new tenants. I understand being busy with school-try phoning around this weekend :) *HUGS*
Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Mikey.
If you have a written lease that is still in effect, a new landlord is generally obligated to honor it.
You may also be able to get help from a landlord-tenant association that looks out for tenant rights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: problem landlord/ my girl

depends...is she going to be interacted with at the kennel daily? How old is she?

som' dogs shutdown and hide, some dogs go kennel crazy and wig out. Have you gone to see her yet? how was she acting?
Hi there,
Yes, I've been to vist her for a long catchup and walk and she seemed quite happy until it was time for me to leave, when there was much whimpering. She's getting walked 3 times a day by the kennel guy, and he does seem to be a genuine doglover. Like I said I made sure that I picked a good kennel. I'm worried about her housetraining and behaviour when I get into my new house/flat in a years time. When I went into hospital for a month and she went into a kennel then, she came back off her food, piddling on the floor overnight and generally needing quite a lot of work to sort everything out. She's 3 1/2 years old.
Cheers Jewels

PS: The motto of this kennel is that "we treat you dog as if it was our own".

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hi there,
Yes, I've been to vist her for a long catchup and walk and she seemed quite happy until it was time for me to leave, when there was much whimpering. She's getting walked 3 times a day by the kennel guy, and he does seem to be a genuine doglover. Like I said I made sure that I picked a good kennel. I'm worried about her housetraining and behaviour when I get into my new house/flat in a years time. When I went into hospital for a month and she went into a kennel then, she came back off her food, piddling on the floor overnight and generally needing quite a lot of work to sort everything out. She's 3 1/2 years old.
Cheers Jewels

PS: The motto of this kennel is that "we treat you dog as if it was our own".
Unfortunately for long stays this is common, bringing your pet home to find them urinating/defecating on the floors, etc. No kennel is going to provide attention to your dog the way you would, this includes training and walking etc. I am a bit confused...you had this dog in your home, then suddenly they changed the rules on you? What was their reasoning? If you already had the dog and they were aware of this they have to grandfather you in. If you had the dog without them knowing then yes it would be your responsibility.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
if the kennel provides an inside/outside type run with the bed on the inside...you might not be too bad off with the potty training thing, could go either way....depends on the individual dog ...he may just learn to pee on concrete LOL.

When I worked at a kennel the biggest problem with the long term residents was boredom...Three walks a day is not bad. Do they have a yard where he can be off leash?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi there Pawzaddict,
I'm not sure what you mean by 'grandfather me in'. What happened was that the land manager changed at my flats and the old one said that medium sized dogs (like my runt of the litter bitch) were OK. The new land manager says that only lapdogs are allowed, and that she would only renew my lease if I "got rid of the dog". I know it's going to be only 12 months because I promptly wrote a letter of complaint to the land manager (who controls many houses and flats) and she promised to relocate me within 12 months to a more dog friendly place. I've got it in writing, but another problem is the cost of the kennel which is $200 per fortnight, and means no new clothes or money for anything except university expenses, food, rent and bills. My parents cover the cost of any car repairs, but refuse to subsidise my dog expenses, as they are not doglovers themselves. I've just got a part-time job, but this depends on how many people come in on the nights I'm working. Last work night one person came in, and I didn't make much, as it was a quiet night.
Oh well, piddle on the floor again, but of course I love my dog. I think I've done as much as I can about the housing situation, as affordable rental properties are hard to find here....
Cheers Jewels

·
Registered
10 Posts
The policy shouldn't depend on the individual who happens to be the land manager. I don't know what the laws are where you are, but around here there has to be a written policy that is enforced the same way for everyone. If you entered into a lease with the owner as represented by the land manager on the assumption that your dog could live there, they have to honor it at least until the lease runs out. If you are still living there under the terms of a written lease, they can't change the rules on you. They CAN however let you know that they plan to change the policy and that a lease renewal will only be granted if you abide by the new policies. In this case the new land manager would have to define "lapdog" (what is that? Less than 15 lbs? Less than 30 lbs?).

This doesn't make sense to me at all - in the state where I live, if that happened to a tenant there would be a legal complaint in the landlord's mailbox within a week and the dog would not have to move out.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Jewels

What 'grandfathered in' means is this; they can only make new rules for new tenants. Since you are a previous tenant, the old rule (medium dogs) applies and they cannot up and make you move or disallow you dogs.

Here is some links i found for landlord tenant act in Australia. I would HIGHLY recommend you contact the help numbers within and get talking to someone legally. I don't think in any country they can change rules and evict your dogs-they would need to grandfather you in!!!

You should not have to endure being seperated from your dogs, nor the financial hardship of kenneling them because they sold the land. Period. I'm sure of it.

Australia Landlord and Tenant - Tenant protection laws are neutral

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/DOJ+Internet/Home/The+Justice+System/Justice+Legislation/JUSTICE+-+Landlord+and+Tenant+Act+1958+(Legislation)

Australia/New Zealand Landlord and Tenant Legal Links

And legal counsel is expensive, but the links should be able to get you in contact with someone in landlord/tenant who can help you!! Contacting your local university law department could also be good, as they often give free or cheap legal advice.

I'm about 250% sure your landlord is in the wrong and you are entitled to your money back and your dogs back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx Mikey,
I found a free link on the first hotlink you posted to pose a question for legal advice online. They'll privately Email me when my question is answered.
Cheers Jewels

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
GREAT!!! I hate when landlords take advantage of tenants (ex. keeping damage deposits wrongly-many people dont' know that if they keep any or all they need to prove with receipts that something was repaired in that suite, and the cost of it) -it's my personal pet peeve and I've taken on a few :)

Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi there,
Well it's nearly been a month end I still haven't heard any Emails to answer my question (if you know what I mean!). Do you think I should post my question online again or just keep waiting? Free legal advice DID sound too good to be true!
Cheers Jewels

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Are you kidding? No good.

Did you contact the 'landlord tenant' people? In the link I posted? Phone them. You should be getting your dogs back-like I said they have no legal grounds to make you move them.

Please keep us posted!!! Booooo to your landlord :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts