Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer, my girlfriend and I have been together for two years, I’ve lived with her for a year. She has Dysautonomia, or POTS, and got him for the sake of training him to be her service animal. He is extremely smart, 6 months old, but he is a rescue. He is a chocolate lab, and we believe he is mixed with pit. He has a ton of energy, and of course teething as he’s a puppy, and labs are mouthy, we have taken all of that into account. She got him around august, and in September I had to quarantine for two weeks due to thinking I had covid. During those two weeks he slept in my spot in the bed bc my gf felt bad telling him to go to the bottom of the bed if the space was empty (she loves dogs over humans.) before this, he was kind, he never hurt me. After I came out of quarantine he began to bite me, not like, I wanna hurt you, but like hard enough to hurt me, I’m anemic so I bruise easily, he has broken skin on many occasions, but once I leave our bedroom he gets calm. At night he pushes us apart and sleeps on my pillow with his head right next to hers. He bites me if I attempt to move him. We haven’t spent time together since September and both have depression and we give each other serotonin so not being able to see each other Is affecting our relationship, she has tried to discipline him, I have tried, her mother has tried. He doesn’t go to training until nov 11, but that’s only for a week. If anyone knows anything that will help, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. he does not respond to being locked in his kennel for 10/15 mins when he’s mean, he doesn’t respond to me yiping when he hurts me, he doesn’t respond to no, he does not care. He has issues listening and I’m at my wits end, I don’t want to move into a separate bedroom but that’s where things are headed rn. He has proven time and time again that he does not respect me.

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
It sounds like he likes his ”spot” on the bed, or possibly is resource guarding it.

How are you going about moving him?

Dogs don't understand ”no”. It is only a noise, and it doesn't tell him what you do want. It is difficult to train a ”don't do” something anyway - like if I told you to not think of a green and pink striped cartoon elephant, what comes to mind? So instead, train what you do want instead.

I'd make sure he has a really comfortable bed of his own, on the floor next to the bed. Encourage him to use it, praise him and reward him when he uses it. You want him to find that being in his own bed is far, fat better than being in yours.

I wouldn't put him in his kennel for 15 minutes when he is mean - in the first place, he doesn't know he is being mean. Supposing you were sitting in a really comfortable chair, quietly reading or watching tv, and someone came along and pushed you out of it? You would probably be quite cross. If it happened repeatedly you would probably react too. And you would feel justified. Not mean.

Also you want his kennel to be a happy place, never a punishment.

Have a look on YouTube for short training videos by Kikopup. This one might help get you started.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts