Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend is currently debating between adopting a Pembroke/Cardigan Welsh Corgi or an Australian Shepherd (Aussie). She needs a protective dog for when she's home alone, but also a dog that can be very loving.

Does anyone know which breed may be best?

My friend has 2 cats...will those dogs be okay with them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
No offense but a corgi is not going to scare off an intruder by looks for sure. If she just wants a dog who will bark and hopefully scare off people I think any dog will do, pure bred or not.

These two breeds are herding breeds so it depends on how the cats are. If they are fussy cats they may not like the dog herding them and chasing them. However, the dog can be trained NOT to herd or chase the cats if done properly.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
My friend is currently debating between adopting a Pembroke/Cardigan Welsh Corgi or an Australian Shepherd (Aussie). She needs a protective dog for when she's home alone, but also a dog that can be very loving.

Does anyone know which breed may be best?

My friend has 2 cats...will those dogs be okay with them?

Thanks.
does your friend have dog experience? i like both of these breeds but they are both herding dogs which means that they need lots of exercise and training.....
i like both breeds (lately i've been sorta partial to corgies tho) as far as protection goes...either of these breeds would be likely to give a warning bark if they thought something was going on....
i also think they would most likely be ok with cats tho they may annoy them and try to herd them or even chase them...have the cats been around dogs before? does she have cat trees and safe places for the cats to go just in case? seperate space to feed the cats so that the dog can't get to the food?
these qualities aren't necessarily breed specific.....these things are going to depend on the individual dog....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
corgis are not for the faint of heart, I've seen so many new corgi owners that look like they have been beaten with the puppy stick.

Does she plan on working them with livestock? Do lots of training/ tricks?

If I HAD to pick I'd say aussie...but personally I don't think either is a good pick...at least without more info.

Cats and herding breed are generally a bad idea...but they can often be trained not to chase....not always tho. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
usually if someone has any type of dog, that is good protection in itself cus most intruders won't want to deal with something biting them or having attention drawn to a house they want to bother with a dog barking in it. Shelters or rescues often evaluate the dog around other animals or cat so they most of the time can tell you if the dog has been socialized around cats. That way your friend can have an easier time getting both the dog and the two cats used to each other. It might be hard to teach a herder not to chase cats but sometimes it can work out.

Anyhow, let us know what your friend decides and if you or she needs any help with anything we'd be happy to help :)

~MSE

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
usually if someone has any type of dog, that is good protection in itself cus most intruders won't want to deal with something biting them or having attention drawn to a house they want to bother with a dog barking in it. Shelters or rescues often evaluate the dog around other animals or cat so they most of the time can tell you if the dog has been socialized around cats. That way your friend can have an easier time getting both the dog and the two cats used to each other. It might be hard to teach a herder not to chase cats but sometimes it can work out.

Anyhow, let us know what your friend decides and if you or she needs any help with anything we'd be happy to help :)

~MSE
Ah very true!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I agree with everyone else ;)

Corgi's -definitely don't look scary. But most intruders and the like will avoid any household with a dog-the noise is not something they want alerting the home owners.

Also ANY dog will bark, and ANY dog will in all liklihood protect his owners.

Perhaps instead of looking at purebred herding dogs, and from the sounds of it she's picking dogs she likes the look of-she should go to a shelter, meet all the dogs, discuss with kennel attendants-and pick a dog on Personality and suitabililtiy. A herding dog (even little Corgis!!!) are NOT for couch potatoes-the personality and energy level should closely match the owner-choosing on looks or 'guarding ability' is silly-even my mother in laws' tiny chihuahua's guard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts