Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Fabulous! Can't wait to hear all about it! One thing I didn't realize before I saw him is that he permits recording (or did last summer). I wish I had been prepared.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
He's coming here too! I don't think I'll make it this year though. Let us know how it goes :D

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, good to know, Cookieface! Any other tips? Gear to bring? How much dog-dog interaction should I expect?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The seminar I attended was all lecture, so there were no dogs or gear. He's a very entertaining speaker. He seems to ramble, but has a knack for bringing everything together just when you think he's lost his train of thought.

If you have an opportunity to ask a question, be very brief and to the point. He doesn't want a history of the dog, just the question. And, even though he explained that, people still started with, "Five years ago, my dog..." It was hard not to laugh.

He's not a huge fan of clickers for the reason most people like them. He seems to think that using praise for good performance and super happy, excited praise for excellent performance is more effective than the same exact sound time after time.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Interesting re: the clicker use. :S Sophie loves clicker training as much as I do. Is he okay with food rewards, then? Markers? I can't imagine not being able to mark/reward. Of course, the reason I'm going is to learn and not just practice my own ways.... ;)

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will! And Pappi, he is having like four days of different workshops in Olympia/Seattle (compared to two down here). Aren't you up that way?

Here's the link, btw! https://www.jamesandkenneth.com/store/show/EVN-010

I've been watching some of his YT videos on recall to get a feel for his workshops. Pretty small/laid back. I hope there will be some advanced stuff because most seems pretty basic.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Thanks!

Interesting re: the clicker use. :S Sophie loves clicker training as much as I do. Is he okay with food rewards, then? Markers? I can't imagine not being able to mark/reward. Of course, the reason I'm going is to learn and not just practice my own ways.... ;)
From what I recall (and have read), markers and food rewards are fine with him. His issue with clickers is that they always sound the same and don't provide nuanced feedback. For example, if I'm teaching Katie to sit and she gives me a sloppy sit, she gets a click and treat. If the next time Katie gives me a super fast, proper sit, she gets the same click and treat. It's the same click and treat no matter what her performance. Of course, there are ways around that and I think his point is to help people understand how to use reinforcement to get the behavior they want (e.g., only reinforce the fast, proper sits).

He seems to stress giving as much information as possible to the dog. So, the sloppy sit would get a "good job" and treat; whereas, the fast, proper sit would get a "squee! What a great sit! Oh boy, are you a quick learner!!" and a treat. I'll have to find my notes to see if there's a better explanation.

Two things that were new to me were his Dog Con system and repetitive reinstruction as negative reinforcement.

In the Dog Con system, your dog has three names. The first is when you don't really care if your dog follows the cue or not. The second is when following the cue is important / non-negotiable. The third is for use in performance venues, so you want the behavior performed with pizzazz. It seems like a good strategy, although, I've started using new cues for more general behaviors (e.g., "on the grass" means out of the street and stay still until I tell you, I don't care if you stand, sit, or down).

Repetitive reinstruction is the antithesis of what most trainers recommend. It's basically repeating a cue until the dog complies. The key is to be consistent and not stop until the dog complies. He described it as a way to avoid using punishment (which he thinks people don't do well and it ends up as ineffective nagging). I've used it, but it's a little too close to intimidation for me.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very interesting, thanks so much for the explanation! I am less familiar with his concepts than others. Idk how I feel about the repetitive thing (other than not loving it, lol), esp for recall. It isn't like I would punish her for a slow recall or go chase her down to punish her. I look forward to hearing his reasoning if he covers it.

Also, great to hear about the food/markers. :) whew!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts