Dog Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
That book is on my wish list! I have so many on my list it's insane...

And dewey, hope does not only come from an outside source. Within all of us there a bit of that hope; maybe it's for a better situation, a better way to do something, a better anything. Sometimes we need others for us to see it, to remind us that it is there, but YOU are responsible for your change. You are making yourself the person and trainer you want to be. While it is very important to thank and appreciate those who help us in life, sometimes we need to give ourselves a little credit too.

You're doing one of the hardest things for people to do: to change. Habits/patterns are hard to break, and many people do not have the strength or will that it takes to make the change. Not only to change, but the hard part of self reflection. Some people are so scared of what they see they won't even look at their reflection in the metaphorical mirror. To look and say that you don't like something about yourself, and to go out and change it... well, that's a person for a dog to be proud of for sure.

Isn't a common goal amongst dog owners 'I hope one day to be the person my dog thinks I am'.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
@ Hound Pup, this is good. And I know there won't ever be a day I don't need to remember this.
I'll just say this, the years I've spent waiting and wondering why the dream had begun slipping away, and not being able to see why was a direct result of my resistance to change.
The people in my life realized I was struggling but I've kept them at a distance.
They support me in my goal but really don't understand the nature of the problem.
The problem began with my resistance to change. I wasn't willing to admit there is a better way. Secondly I believe creativity was limited by the nature of compulsion. "Now what do I do?", forever on my mind.
I've always insisted P/R wouldn't work because at some point the dog's would need a consequence to offset the the attraction of self rewarding behaviour.
The sticky Crios wrote broke the dam.
I suddenly realized the psycho/ motivational component, the brain chemical thing. The adaptation element. Not just really tasty treats. (does that even make sense?)

There I go again, Is there an overthinkers anonymous group?
Anyway, I need me as my encouragement, but I insist I need you guys too.
Also, I need to find a local class Princess and I can go to to work hands on w/ real people, (not that you guys aren't real :) )

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
@ Hound Pup, this is good. And I know there won't ever be a day I don't need to remember this.
I'll just say this, the years I've spent waiting and wondering why the dream had begun slipping away, and not being able to see why was a direct result of my resistance to change.
The people in my life realized I was struggling but I've kept them at a distance.
They support me in my goal but really don't understand the nature of the problem.
The problem began with my resistance to change. I wasn't willing to admit there is a better way. Secondly I believe creativity was limited by the nature of compulsion. "Now what do I do?", forever on my mind.
I've always insisted P/R wouldn't work because at some point the dog's would need a consequence to offset the the attraction of self rewarding behaviour.
The sticky Crios wrote broke the dam.
I suddenly realized the psycho/ motivational component, the brain chemical thing. The adaptation element. Not just really tasty treats. (does that even make sense?)

There I go again, Is there an overthinkers anonymous group?
Anyway, I need me as my encouragement, but I insist I need you guys too.
Also, I need to find a local class Princess and I can go to to work hands on w/ real people, (not that you guys aren't real :) )
If there is such a group, I belong there too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Overthinkers anonymous?! I'll be attending. :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I must say I've been so busy lately with all my personal crap I hadn't trained the spicy one in over a month. This thread inspired me to go out and train Chili on my walk yesterday. We practiced som' auto stops at intersections and CC to motorcycles. He was very excited.

I know you don't know me from eve, but I have a rather extensive dog training book collection, and you're welcome to borrow whatever you'd like, I've leant stuff to several members here before.. I don't feel like my brain can hold much more.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I must say I've been so busy lately with all my personal crap I hadn't trained the spicy one in over a month. This thread inspired me to go out and train Chili on my walk yesterday. We practiced som' auto stops at intersections and CC to motorcycles. He was very excited.

I know you don't know me from eve, but I have a rather extensive dog training book collection, and you're welcome to borrow whatever you'd like, I've leant stuff to several members here before.. I don't feel like my brain can hold much more.
Me inspire, that's cool :)
Crios what does CC mean?
I'd love to borrow some books. The job I have right now allows me a WHOLE bunch of free time. I'll finish DStheD and let you know.
Do you really know Eve? I'm kidding :)
I'm feeling better today , but I still haven't slept much, strange, really not like me. My mind wont shut off. It apparently lay dormant for who knows how long.
I watched a kiko pup video "What Not to Do" and know it's on again, light are on but I really don't think anyone is home here... :)

PS I'm glad Chilli could benefit from my ? :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Sorry, CC means "counterconditioning". My dog is reactive. Which means he histerically freaks out barking and growling when he sees som'thing hes frightened of.

Hes had alot of training, so at this point, motorcycles don't get a reaction anymore, but you can tell in his face hes still uncomfortable, thus, motorcycle appears and he gets treats for looking at the motorcycle. Actually, hes probably past the point of CC, since I actually was rewarding an operate response (looking but controling himself) so in that case I guess I was just plain ol' training the dog.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Oops, dilemma... " is a problem offering two possibilities, neither of which is practically acceptable."
WRONG WORD...
Not the case here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
@Crios, thanks for that ,the key was the motorcycle but I didn't think of that.
Cool :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Me inspire, that's cool :)
Crios what does CC mean?
I'd love to borrow some books. The job I have right now allows me a WHOLE bunch of free time. I'll finish DStheD and let you know.
Do you really know Eve? I'm kidding :)
I'm feeling better today , but I still haven't slept much, strange, really not like me. My mind wont shut off. It apparently lay dormant for who knows how long.
I watched a kiko pup video "What Not to Do" and know it's on again, light are on but I really don't think anyone is home here... :)

PS I'm glad Chilli could benefit from my ? :)
night night, nap time, time to let this thread rest. can't think, cant type, can't spell but I CAN say thanks DF one more time. :thumbsup:
And when I wake up check some other threads and get outside of myself.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts