Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have posted about my feral Mija here before. I just love this cat and I am very tempted to trap her and try to tame her. She has been hanging around for years now and I highly doubt she will ever leave (and quite frankly, I don't want her to). She never causes trouble and she cute as hell.

The other day Karitsa was barking at something non-stop so I go outside to see what's the big deal, and I see Mija crossing the road not too far from my drive way. I bring Karitsa in and tell her "Mija is off-limits". I know Karitsa doesn't understand this concept, but I say it to her anyways. I bring Karitsa inside and go by the fence and start calling to Mija. She instantly perks up and came running, but not all the way to me but very close. For a feral, I think that's pretty cool. Plus I had no food with me at that time! I keep calling to her and she got as close as a couple of feet away. I can tell she wants to trust, but is scared. I go and bring her more food and she's following me around like a shadow within a safe distance for herself. I put her food down and she comes right up (still skittish with any sudden movements, but recovers very fast). I love my Mija!

·
Registered
11 Posts
She's beautiful! Are you certain she's feral though? People, on a few occassions, have trapped my cat and sent him to the vet/animal rescue, assuming he was feral. He's not. He just won't wear a collar :(

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Do it if you can, you may be saving her live.

Mom called me last night, she is so upset. she's had a feral cat coming around for some time. She fed it, spent time with it outdoors but it wouldn't come inside. It showed up a couple of days ago with a hole in it's head, someone probably shot it with a BB or other. One last meal and likely went off to die, she couldn't catch it, hasn't seen it since.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's beautiful! Are you certain she's feral though? People, on a few occassions, have trapped my cat and sent him to the vet/animal rescue, assuming he was feral. He's not. He just won't wear a collar :(
I live in a rural area and there is an overflow of feral/barn cats. I can only assume but since she is also around with my other feral (which there is no doubt she is feral) I guess I just assumed. I could be totally wrong about Mija but will never know for sure.

Do it if you can, you may be saving her live.

Mom called me last night, she is so upset. she's had a feral cat coming around for some time. She fed it, spent time with it outdoors but it wouldn't come inside. It showed up a couple of days ago with a hole in it's head, someone probably shot it with a BB or other. One last meal and likely went off to die, she couldn't catch it, hasn't seen it since.
I am very tempted @jagger. So terribly sad for your mom's feral. So sad and upsetting that someone would do that to an animal.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
@timber, how are you making out with that cat?

Talked to mom tonite, that feral showed up again, survived the ordeal. Still has a hole in it's head, still can't catch it. She said it seems to be in good enough health.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't tried to catch her yet. I'm going to wait until my foster gets adopted and I de-stress for a while. I don't think it would be a good idea to try to tame her while I am overwhelmed and anxious in general right now.

I will definitely keep you posted with Mija's trapping and taming when the time comes. I hope it goes well...

I'm glad your mom's feral showed up again. They can be quite resilient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts