Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rescued female dog. She's been with me since she was one year old, and she is currently 11 years old. We used to live in Mexico but because of my husbands job we moved to Michigan a month ago. She used to be around four dogs when we were in mexico, then just around one, and then none, and she seemed to be okay with dogs or on her own.

She's always been a very calm dog, she won't bark to other dogs or people.

And I was not aware of her barking until my neighbors complained about it. At the beginning I thought they were mistaking and maybe was someone else's dog, so I decided to run some tests. I would leave as I usually do and leave a phone at the house to see if she barks, and she didn't. But I only made the experiment for about 20 min at a time, and then I decided to record her for a longer period of time, and turns out that she usually starts barking about a half an hour after I leave, and continues to bark for as long as I'm gone, non stop.

She is never alone more than 3 hours a day every other day, except on saturdays, when she is alone most of the day.
The moment she sees me, she stops, and never barks again. Not even to loud noises or other dogs, or people or squirrels, nothing.

What can I possibly do? I guess that is separation anxiety, but I don't have a clue on how to address this issue, and I can't afford doggy day care. My neighbors are very upset and home owners association will fine me if I don't do something about it.

Any suggestion is welcome, any ideas. I'm welling to try anything. I'm concerned that she does that for a reason, I don't like the fact that she might be scared or stressed, or something.

P.S I take her on walks every day twice a day for at least 20 min. She is 11 years old and 8 pounds. She is a poodle mix.

Also, I'm new to the forum, my apologies if my post is not on the right place. I'm really sad because this situation might cause that she goes back to mexico to live with my mom, and I really want her to stay here with me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

It sounds like she is just lonesome and wants a pack. Not everyone can keep two dogs, but it you could possibly adopt a second (its always great to give a needy dog a home) then maybe your own dog would feel more content.

We also have an elderly dog (he's around 9 but because of his large size that means he's around the same age as your poodle mix in dog years). He is 90 lbs but also a poodle mix and sometimes he just starts barking. Walks usually help, but it sounds like your poodle gets good, long walks. Our dog also barks when he wants fresh water, to be let out back, or to be fed.

Small poodle mixes can suffer from low blood sugar, I know ours do, so it may be this causing some of the anxiety.

I hope this helps. Best of luck! : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I did not know about the low blood sugar, but I'm trying to have food readily available for her now. I used to feed her just once a day, but not anymore.
Unfortunately I can't have two dogs, owner's rules :(. I'm still trying to fix this. I appreciate your help, thank you so much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.