Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for information and advice. I have an elderly (15yo) golden retriever in somewhat fragile health. A groomer just SHAVED him down today (apparently other clients like that. Not me!). A few questions:
- how long until his coat begins to grow back, if ever?
- I assume we will need to buy him a coat for cold now, since she took off both coats of fur. Will he also need rain protection?
- Is there something you recommend to diminish the trauma? He's totally freaking out, and this is not what I wanted for his elderly years. I'm beside myself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh my goodness!! That is TERRIBLE!! I hope you let that groomer know that what they did was not what you wanted!! Unfortunatly I don't have much advice, If you think she'll be cold, get her a jacket. Also if she's itchy because of the whole no hair thing, witch hazel helps

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Oh man, I'd be so ticked off! I really hope that you let the groomer, or the manager of the store, know how upset you are.

Depending on how cold it gets where you are, and how short the hair was clipped, he may need a coat. An elderly dog has a harder time tolerating the cold then a young one. Have a good sweater or coat ready and start getting him used to it now, if he's never worn one he may object to it at first or he may surprise you. If he's objecting to it it'll help to pair each part of getting it put on with a nice treat. If it's a jacket that goes on like a harness, you'd put it on his back and give a treat then take it off, repeat till he likes having it put on his back, then move on to the next step which may be putting it on his back and strapping it around the abdomen, then giving him a treat and take it off.

Depending on the length of the coat it could take a year or less to grow completely back. It may be thick enough by late winter for him to go without the jacket, again it depends on where you live and how cold it gets.

I never do a rain coat with my boy, he has a short single coat. My boy does not like the rain and would never tolerate going for a walk in it so I just wait for the rain to slack off enough for a quick potty break and towel him off when we get back in. If you and your boy like walking in the rain it may help to use a dog rain coat on him, but that's up to you. Shaved like he is his coat will not repel the rain like it did before.

If he still likes to chew on things a nice chew can help dogs relieve stress. Give him a nice quiet place to go to and calm down, and do some of his favorite things when he's ready to come out and hang out with y'all.

Reactions: myrottenones

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This is the reason I don't bring Cosmo to the groomers! Horror stories of people coming back with shaved dogs :(

No advice unfortunately but I'm sorry that happened! Her fur should grow back within a few months though, my friends shave their Goldie every year (I personally think it's hideous but I just prefer a fluffy dog myself)

·
Registered
900 Posts
When a dog is freaking out, I tend to ignore and not feed into it. Act as if nothing is going on and he will settle down along with your emotions.

How cold does it get there and when does the real cold start?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Ugh, that's awful. Groomers terrify me. There is an Aussie puppy in Heidi's puppy class (He's so cute, makes me miss Levi's puppy days) and his owner was telling me that she met a groomer who said she would give him the Aussie haircut, which involved shaving them down to keep them cool. UH NOPE.

It will probably take around a year or so, hopefully less. I might look into a coat, especially since he's not a young dog. I would just try to keep him comfortable, nice antler, or something to chew on.

Poor guy. :(

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
About 4 months ago, I clipped back the feathers on my Golden Retrievers back legs, as they were overwhelming his tail and everything on his back side looked white.
I probably clipped about 4 inches, and still left him some feathering. Now it's just about back to where it was before I clipped him. So, in 4 to 6 months, I think you will see a nice coat...it won't be long but it will be there.

I also had a dog named Ernie, that was shaved down to the skin by an assistant groomer who misunderstood me when I told her to cut his hair pretty short.
He literally looked like a hairless dog...she Shaved him.

Fortunately it was spring, and by fall he had a long enough coat that I wasn't worried about him being cold when winter came. Our spring ends around late May and winter starts up about the end of October. He wasn't a Golden Retriever though. His hair grew really fast. Hopefully so will your dog's hair.

Ernie, also behaved rather odd...but can't blame him...first time he probably ever felt wind and sun directly on his skin and not filtered through hair. He got use to it very fast though. Dogs are good at that...adapting. He was also an elderly dog at the time...around 12 years old. He lived to be 14 and was just as hairy as ever at the time of his passing.

Stormy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
When i take Jessie to the groomer im very specific(due to aspergers probably) but it works wonders! If going for full groom i tell her how short i want her eg number 1 or 2 in hot weather, what areas need doing most that i want her belly shaved fully, what areas to focus on etc.

When just a tidy up i tell her what exactly i want doing to Jessie eg sanitary clip, backside, face, paws and paw pads. when i pick up i inspect her belly if im not happy i let her know. if i want her to touch up on anything she does.

So in this case it might be can you please not clip him but give him a bath, get the undercoat out and minimise the shedding?

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,351 Posts
As long as your dog doesn't have a thyroid problem, his hair will grow back. You would be surprised at how many owners request that groomers shave their dogs down. I'm sorry it happened to your dog without you wanting it done. Growth varies from dog to dog but most of them grow between 1/8-1/4 of an inch back per month. You're probably looking at a couple of months and I would get him a jacket for the winter.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Most likely the hair will grow back, but it could take a full cycle for it to do so.

I get absolutely infuriated when I read stories like this, and I don't even visit groomers. I hope you had a long conversation with the manager about how you did not want this, and that it is unacceptable. They need to be aware of that mistake to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts