Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a now 8 month old German Shepherd. When he was 7 months old, he was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Our surgeon felt his hips "popping" and so did we. Other symptoms included stiffness and pain upon standing. We elected to undergo TPO surgery at that age because of the high success rate, and to prevent the crippling effects of HD later in his life.

One month after surgery now, and we can hear his one hip starting to pop again. We have followed the procedure with keeping him contained, and he doesn't seem to be in pain (which is saying something, because he is kind of a big baby). It's just the darn popping. We called the surgeon, and he said that it is ok as long as it isn't frequent, that it had something to do with the ligaments. Well, the popping is still happening. We plan to call the vet again to see what to do.

Has anyone else had this experience? Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated at this point, because we are incredibly upset about this whole situation.
:dog-cry:

I have a blog about our experience here with photos if anyone is interested in reading all the extra details.
Raven's Recovery: TPO

·
Registered
734 Posts
MMP Surgery ( Modified Maquet Procedure )

On March 10th our Airedale had MMP surgery by an Orthopedic Surgeon to repair a torn ACL and badly damaged knee.
He was strictly confined to a crate for 6 weeks then restricted activity (no running , jumping , outside to potty on a leash only for another 6 weeks .
After that we had to start him out with just 3 10 minute walks per day and work up to regular walks .

He did have the popping sound a few times and his leg was still a little crooked but when he went to the Orthopedic Surgeon for X-rays at the end of the 6 weeks confinement everything looked perfect . Vet told us that the popping , reluctance to use the leg normally was normal ..
Now he is doing fabulous . I am still nervous about letting him jump a lot though but that is just me ..
This was our experience . I hope it helps ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WJM, glad to hear your dog has recovered from his big surgery, and that the popping isn't causing him any issues. We're calling the surgeon again today, and he'll probably want to re-examine everything...hopefully, it's nothing, because at this point another surgery seems pointless if the previous surgery hasn't worked. Our last resort would be just to leave it until he develops painful arthritis, and then total hip replacement...really hoping to avoid that, because this poor puppy has already gone through enough trauma and restriction, he deserves a happy life from now on. It's a frustrating situation.

·
Registered
734 Posts
WJM, glad to hear your dog has recovered from his big surgery, and that the popping isn't causing him any issues. We're calling the surgeon again today, and he'll probably want to re-examine everything...hopefully, it's nothing, because at this point another surgery seems pointless if the previous surgery hasn't worked. Our last resort would be just to leave it until he develops painful arthritis, and then total hip replacement...really hoping to avoid that, because this poor puppy has already gone through enough trauma and restriction, he deserves a happy life from now on. It's a frustrating situation.
Thank you , Angus is doing great .

I sure hope your sweet pup makes a full recovery . Maybe he just needs more time . Hopefully the surgeon will give you some good news .
Keep us posted ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Raven is at the vet's now. Will post the results as soon as I hear back. Hoping to avoid another surgery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you WJM, we did get some good news. No extra surgery needed! The popping was due to a damaged ligament in the hip caused by his pre-surgical hips having too much laxity, which should hopefully get better in time with therapy. Our surgeon didn't even charge anything for the examination or X-rays. :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thank you WJM, we did get some good news. No extra surgery needed! The popping was due to a damaged ligament in the hip caused by his pre-surgical hips having too much laxity, which should hopefully get better in time with therapy. Our surgeon didn't even charge anything for the examination or X-rays. :)
Awesome news .. I am glad he is going to be ok .. He sure is a cute little guy too ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts