Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, any suggestions would be welcome

Cuddles is 18 months old, a golden retriever, not yet desexed

We got cuddles when he was 4 months old, one of a litter of 6 pups ,the last to leave the breaders home.

Cuddles suffers from a very nervous disposition from day one. He is fine at home but starts to shiver when outside the house. His breader advised that there was never a trauma earlier.

Cuddles is a very poor eater. He peaked weight at 12 months of age 24 kgs and now has dropepd 5 kgs, stands today at 19 kg
He has a very poor apetite. eats nothing but lamb kibbles with chicken bits, if at all.
He breaks into loosies regularly, tend to get mucuous and sometimes a drop or two of blood
He is not energetic and stands with his head low with a stooped back.
Blood tests show things normal
Each time we visit a vet they give him antibiotics which sorts out the problem temporarily but back to square one a few days later.

If anyone has ever seen,faced a similar situation ,sincerely request if you could advise any suggestion which could help, please save my cuddles

God bless
Joshi

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you tried getting a second opinion from another vet? What was the initial diagnosis? I wish him quick recovery.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mucous and weight loss can be a sign of worms. Has Cuddles been wormed recently?
I think as suggested a different vet's opinion might be useful. To keep throwing antibiotics at whatever is going on, is clearly not a solution or a good idea.

In the meantime have you considered medication to increase appetite? (it doesn't have to be steroids). B or B12 shots can also help with appetite and will provide nourishment.
I used to give my old dog shots at home.

Have you had a urine and stool analysis as well as blood tests? An ultrasound might also be an idea to check for tumours or obstructions..
Good luck Cuddles

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I would get him to a good internist. They tend to approach health problems with a broader, if you will, vision.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Lack of appetite, loose stool, mucus in stool with drops of blood, pain, and weight loss, could be a sign of colitis. Hunched back is a sign of pain. Did your vet check for that?

Stress is a cause of colitis, and since your is fearful outside the house, it's likely that he's stressed while outside and that could be causing his problems. My own dog developed colitis due to stress a couple years ago when we had thunderstorms come through nearly every day for a month (my dog has a thunder phobia). He exhibited signs that were very similar to the ones your dog has. He had loose, mucus coated, stools, was in pain, and started refusing to eat. He was diagnosed with colitis, given some medicine, and some easy to digest food, it took a couple weeks but he got better.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I would be cautious about more antibiotics. You might get some plain yogurt and give him a tablespoon of it with each meal....or buy some probiotics.

You might even check into getting some powdered colostrum. I gave that to both of my dogs, Jaya and HaHa. I was trying to help Jaya with her allergies, but HaHa, who was a Golden Retriever...he also had bad stomach issues. University studies have shown that colostrum can help with some stomach issues.

My guy, HaHa. He was mentally handicapped, and the breeder couldn't get him to eat without the pup sicking up his food. After a year, the breeder handed him over to the shelter, and the shelter didn't know if they could do anything as the puppy was a skeleton. They got a little weight on him but after a year, the shelter was running the last test on him and was going to put him to sleep if they couldn't figure out what was wrong. He was still a skeleton.

I kind of fell for him, when I saw him because he was being so loving, and coy with his toy...prancing and teasing me with the toy. I asked if I could take him for a week and have a go at feeding him. The shelter said 'Yes"

I gave him the name HaHa, and started out feeding him just a handful dry kibble that I had soaked in warm water until it was soft. He kept that down, so I would wait 20 minutes and give him another handful. For 2 weeks he was pretty much hand feed and never got sick on me. I gradually increased the amount of each feeding and didn't soak the food for as long, until he was having 5 meals a day.

He had a lot of rounds of tummy problems though, I was always fearful when that happened that he would 'bloat' and that can kill a dog. The gas in their stomach cannot escape and their stomach can actually flip, and cut off blood supply and the dog can die within an hour or so. So, I always kept some Gas X in the house for those times I could see he wasn't able to burp and he was getting uncomfortable and walking around and whining a little.

I think the colostrum I gave him helped a little with that...it seems like he wasn't having as many episodes after I gave it to him for about 6 months. (unfortunately, it didn't help Jaya's allergy issue, but the article I read said that only about 20 percent of the dogs were helped by it...but it was worth a shot in my opinion).

Like others here said, though, get a second opinion. Antibiotics kill everything good and bad...and it could be it's killed a lot of the good bacteria in your dog's digestive system that is needed to digest food.

Stormy

·
Registered
332 Posts
You might get some plain yogurt and give him a tablespoon of it with each meal....or buy some probiotics.
Actually, dogs intestinal flora is very different from ours. They don't get much probiotic benefit from yogurt, although it is a good source of calcium for them.

You're better off with a probiotic mix, like Fortiflora, that is tailored for them.
[URL="http://www.amcne.com/pet-owners/should-i-feed-my-pet-yogurt/"]http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/can-dogs-eat-yogurt/[/URL]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts