Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
There's a couple of issues in that reply that we would caution against.

Then pick up the bowl before they finish
This is how resource guarding starts. The dog learns to fear his food will be taken away, so he starts guarding it. That's not even unreasonable, if someone tried to take my food I'd have words with them too.

Desensitize your dog on walks by never backing away from an approaching dog / owner
If you were nervous of, say, snakes and I didn't allow you to take a detour around one on a path and insisted you carry on towards it regardless, how do you think you would feel? You wouldn't be any more confident about snakes, and your trust relationship with me would be damaged. Turning and walking away is exactly what we suggest with reactive dogs; not only to avoid a confrontation but also to show the dog you are listening to him and acknowledging his concerns.

· Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
I'll be concise on where we differ.

Resource guarding - the general consensus is that dogs are entitled to eat in peace and shouldn't have their food interfered with. At all. Your way has worked for you, but that's out of step with many other behaviourists.

Removing the dog from the source of its fear - yes, I meant confidently create distance between dog and threat. When you said ”never back away” I thought you were advocating continuing to approach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts