Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I need advise as to why my dog could be acting like he dose. He is a 2 year old blue healer mix. I don't know why but for some reason he is completely terrified of me every time I punish him for anything. I have never done anything that would be considered abuse to him. When he gets in trouble he maybe gets one light swat on his rear end and a stern dominate voice.But lately hebhas started to act like he is bein gv beaten every time I get on him for something. Yet my husband gets on him the same way I do and he is perfectly fine. Why is it that he would act like this with me but not with others?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I speak to my dog in a stern, angry voice, he cowers and sometimes even pees. And I've never so much as rasied a hand at him. Some dogs are sensitive. It broke my heart to see how I was scaring him so I had to change my approach.
My advice to you is to stop punishing him, period. I don't know what behaviors you're punishing your dog for, but try to redirect him or train him to do another specific behavior instead. If my dogs bark, I either ask them to be quiet (a specific trainable behavior) or I redirect them with a bone or a toy. If they jump at me, I ask them to sit instead. I think dogs feel better when they know what TO do, instead of what not to do.
Also, I prevent things wherever I can. They can be counter surfers, so I don't leave out unattended food. I move the trash can out of reach, close the doors to off-limits rooms, and do my best to set the pups up for success. And sometimes I come home and someone had an accident or they still manage to get the trash. I just clean it up, it is what it is.
If he's having that kind of reaction I think you should change your approach. Good luck ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a blue heeler who is now six and it’s been quite a journey. If I had my time again I’d do it quite differently. My dog absolutely learns best when he is rewarded and redirected and given lots of challenges to keep his very clever mind occupied. I don’t think he learns a thing from any form of punishment. Instead focus on planning and teaching what they can do , eg rotating toys, lots of trick training, sniffling food and plenty of walks. I do ignore the barking for attention though and wait until he’s quiet to interact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts