Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last month, our redbone coonhound (almost 9 yrs. old) has had a sudden and progressive weakening of her hind end. She is a healthy dog (beside the ear and skin issues that are apparently common with the breed) and is 65 pounds.

About 4 weeks ago we noticed that she was a little slower standing up. This quickly progressed to being very slow to get up, and being even lazier (she is a hound). Over the past two weeks, we've had to start helping her up, and now we need to hold her for 30 seconds after picking up her hind end until she gets "stable", and I carry her up and down the stairs. Once she is up and walking for a minute or two, she is a little better, but if her bumbling brother bumps into her, her back legs sometimes just collapse. She has not lost her appetite, she is peeing and pooping as normal, and her attitude is about the same. We even were able to get her to go on a short walk a couple times, and she seemed to be ok.

We took her to a vet, and they did some bloodwork - which turned out normal. We have an appointment with a doggy neurologist next week, and we just started her on meloxicam today. We had her on a different anti-inflamatory last week, and it seemed to help a little.
Just looking for a possible answer that doesn't involve us dealing with the fact that we probably can't afford to pay for an MRI + spinal surgery (which is what the vet was suspecting).

any advise is appreciated.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Tough situation. Did the vet say she is painful? I assume so since she's on the meloxicam, but there is a chance she is not painful.

There is not much else you can do besides the neuro consult with MRI and possibly surgery. There is an every-so-slight chance that it is not a slipped disk in need of surgery and that she threw an embolus, but it does not sound like it and only crate rest would be warranted (and may not fix it). The could try to give her a compound called PEG, which may help if she threw an embolus but is no guarantee. She may also have a degenerative process that you can't do anything about.

While I throw out these suggestions to you, I truly believe your only option is an MRI and even a spinal tap for CSF fluid to make sure it's not infectious.

You could apply for care credit to help with the cost: CareCredit Veterinary Financing for Pet Care, Pet Surgery, Vaccinations & Other Veterinary Medicine Procedures

I'm sorry I can't give you any better news.

Please make sure you tell the neurologist that she's been on NSAIDs so that steroids are not prescribed or prescribed appropriately.

Good Luck.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Over the last month, our redbone coonhound (almost 9 yrs. old) has had a sudden and progressive weakening of her hind end. She is a healthy dog (beside the ear and skin issues that are apparently common with the breed) and is 65 pounds.

About 4 weeks ago we noticed that she was a little slower standing up. This quickly progressed to being very slow to get up, and being even lazier (she is a hound). Over the past two weeks, we've had to start helping her up, and now we need to hold her for 30 seconds after picking up her hind end until she gets "stable", and I carry her up and down the stairs. Once she is up and walking for a minute or two, she is a little better, but if her bumbling brother bumps into her, her back legs sometimes just collapse. She has not lost her appetite, she is peeing and pooping as normal, and her attitude is about the same. We even were able to get her to go on a short walk a couple times, and she seemed to be ok.

We took her to a vet, and they did some bloodwork - which turned out normal. We have an appointment with a doggy neurologist next week, and we just started her on meloxicam today. We had her on a different anti-inflamatory last week, and it seemed to help a little.
Just looking for a possible answer that doesn't involve us dealing with the fact that we probably can't afford to pay for an MRI + spinal surgery (which is what the vet was suspecting).

any advise is appreciated.
Redbone coonhound are known to get hip dysplasia . I am sorry to hear your beautiful is not good well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my 7 year old mix have that leg weakness before.. his is much worse, his bag legs collapsed and paralyzed. Then 3-4days after that his front legs lost its use. Its heartbreaking to see him that way. I just can't afford to take him to the vet(we don't have a lot of Qualified and trusted Vet Clinics here in our country). I just painstakingly massage all his legs and sponge bath him. Fortunately and with some miracle he gain both use of his legs although his back legs still have some mild stiffness..

Hope that you're baby will get well soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds a little like what I went through with my last dog. I lost my seven and a half year old Great Dane to Degenerative Myelopathy almost three years ago, there is no cure, just pallative care. It started with hind-foot dragging (all the toenails on his back feet were worn down very closely to the skin) at about five years old. At first he was just kind of wobbly, so we just assumed he was clumbsy. Then he needed help getting up, he was making the effort but just needed a butt-boost. Once he was up, he could maintain a stiff legged walk. Eventually he had trouble controlling his bowels, then his bladder, then his back legs become completley un-useable. My vet said he wasn't in any pain (no nerve sensation-hence dog was unable to control his legs) so he was put on a huge amount of Prednisone and Robaxin, and we supplemented with milk thistle to help with inflammation. After my dane started needing a boost up, it progressed pretty quickly (about 8 months later) we had to have him put to sleep as he could not stand, control his bowels/bladder at all. It broke my heart because I knew that there was no cure or surgery that could be done to save him. I will tell you that Degenerative Myelopathy can only be diagnosed upon necropsy, so keep trying everything you can, your dog may have something else that can be treated.I'll send up a little prayer for your family and hope that your dog makes a recovery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This sounds a little like what I went through with my last dog. I lost my seven and a half year old Great Dane to Degenerative Myelopathy almost three years ago, there is no cure, just pallative care. It started with hind-foot dragging (all the toenails on his back feet were worn down very closely to the skin) at about five years old. At first he was just kind of wobbly, so we just assumed he was clumbsy. Then he needed help getting up, he was making the effort but just needed a butt-boost. Once he was up, he could maintain a stiff legged walk. Eventually he had trouble controlling his bowels, then his bladder, then his back legs become completley un-useable. My vet said he wasn't in any pain (no nerve sensation-hence dog was unable to control his legs) so he was put on a huge amount of Prednisone and Robaxin, and we supplemented with milk thistle to help with inflammation. After my dane started needing a boost up, it progressed pretty quickly (about 8 months later) we had to have him put to sleep as he could not stand, control his bowels/bladder at all. It broke my heart because I knew that there was no cure or surgery that could be done to save him. I will tell you that Degenerative Myelopathy can only be diagnosed upon necropsy, so keep trying everything you can, your dog may have something else that can be treated.I'll send up a little prayer for your family and hope that your dog makes a recovery.

i'm so sorry for your Dane.. Danes are very sweet and gentle giants. My dog is fine now, though i can still see subtle stiffness in his back legs other than that he's fine. Thank you for your concern :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you recently apply any tick spot on product? My pug got hind leg paralysis 24hr after advantix ii application (it is resolving now a week out). He did not have pain and still ate but was lethargic and could not move or hold any weight on back legs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you recently apply any tick spot on product? My pug got hind leg paralysis 24hr after advantix ii application (it is resolving now a week out). He did not have pain and still ate but was lethargic and could not move or hold any weight on back legs.
No. But now that you mentioned it. I did put some tick powder on him a week before his back legs were paralyzed. Did you bring your dog to the vet?. Better let your Vet see your pug..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Advantix paralysis

I gave my healthy 6yo pug first dose of advantix ii...he developed a dry cough and some itching within 2 hrs when I washed it off (first with people shampoo, later with dish liquid). 24 hrs later he looked stiff and limped and over next few hrs developed paralysis of his back legs. This persisted over 24 hrs (crumpled when tried to stand) then slowly over days recovered almost completely now 1 week later. He still cringes when I pet him over areas where I applied the Advantix. Seen by 2 vets (1 in ER) and I called Bayer and Petsmart as well as EPA NPIC (National Pesticide Information Center)1-800-858-7378. If it is as rare as they say why do I know 2 other people who had AE's and why is there so much info online? My issue is nothing about AEs on packaging, petsmart rep said perfectly safe, and Bayer rep denies causality. Is there no informed consent when it comes to pets? Even if rare, state it! I would never have applied it. I am still waiting for Bayer to send me safety data from clinical trials (rep couldn't tell me any number/percent with this AE and stated not systemically absorbed??). What happens to post-marketing adverse event reports? Are AE's more common in breeds like pugs? (seems more reports online with pugs???)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I gave my healthy 6yo pug first dose of advantix ii...he developed a dry cough and some itching within 2 hrs when I washed it off (first with people shampoo, later with dish liquid). 24 hrs later he looked stiff and limped and over next few hrs developed paralysis of his back legs. This persisted over 24 hrs (crumpled when tried to stand) then slowly over days recovered almost completely now 1 week later. He still cringes when I pet him over areas where I applied the Advantix. Seen by 2 vets (1 in ER) and I called Bayer and Petsmart as well as EPA NPIC (National Pesticide Information Center)1-800-858-7378. If it is as rare as they say why do I know 2 other people who had AE's and why is there so much info online? My issue is nothing about AEs on packaging, petsmart rep said perfectly safe, and Bayer rep denies causality. Is there no informed consent when it comes to pets? Even if rare, state it! I would never have applied it. I am still waiting for Bayer to send me safety data from clinical trials (rep couldn't tell me any number/percent with this AE and stated not systemically absorbed??). What happens to post-marketing adverse event reports? Are AE's more common in breeds like pugs? (seems more reports online with pugs???)
hi! according to reviews that i just read.. advantix might/might not be poisonous to small dogs. Severe symptoms are rare but rare means that i did happened to other pets.. So if i were you stay away from products containing
"Permethrin" cause this chemical dissolves slowly in pets system.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
I had heard bad things about the Advantix II, but never about AEs. That's terrible, so sorry!

AEs are not common in general... and maybe moreso in cats to be honest.

And, FWIW, the Permethrin in the Advantix products is bad for CATS. Toxicities in dogs, no matter their size, are very very rare because there is a wide safety margin for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our Maltese has the same problem. I gave her Advantix II last night & 2 hours later she could not use her hind legs. I immediately gave her a bath. It has been 24 hrs and she is totally frustrated and so am I. Any suggestions? Will she recover?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Jenny Dog, Sorry to hear about your Maltese. My pug recovered in about a week with his hind leg paralysis (most resolved in 3 days). Vets (outpt and ER) had nothing to offer. From online reports it seems the reaction may be more common in smaller breeds.
As for exact percentages, Bayer was not forthcoming with any objective adverse event data even though I requested it; they just harped on washing him with dish detergent and rubbing vitamin E on application sites (as if you would find the sites). From scientific journals, hindleg weakness was common in rat studies (blocks sodium channels in nerves). Article also states dysthesias(painful/uncomfortable skin sensations) with all animals (my dog cringed for 4 weeks after I pet him on application sites). Please report it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for quick reply

I appreciate your quick reply. You can be sure, I will report it ASAP tomorrow morning. I feel so guilty everytime I look at her, knowing I caused the problem. Obviously, from reading Internet posts, this is not an uncommon occurrence. What do you use for flea prevention now?

Dear Jenny Dog, Sorry to hear about your Maltese. My pug recovered in about a week with his hind leg paralysis (most resolved in 3 days). Vets (outpt and ER) had nothing to offer. From online reports it seems the reaction may be more common in smaller breeds.
As for exact percentages, Bayer was not forthcoming with any objective adverse event data even though I requested it; they just harped on washing him with dish detergent and rubbing vitamin E on application sites (as if you would find the sites). From scientific journals, hindleg weakness was common in rat studies (blocks sodium channels in nerves). Article also states dysthesias(painful/uncomfortable skin sensations) with all animals (my dog cringed for 4 weeks after I pet him on application sites). Please report it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Advantix II

From a risk/benefit standpoint I won't use any tick/flea products on him now; he is rarely around other dogs and I am paranoid about a recurrence. However, I did use Frontline a few times in the past without a problem.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hmmm this is an interesting thread. My Pug Lola suffered back issues a couple of months ago and weve been using advantix this year. Let me know if tou find out anything more.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would stop giving Advantix to your pug, because I am 100% certain my dogs' hind leg paralysis came from the Advantiix. An hour before I applied the Advantix, my dog was running after a toy like a puppy; 90 minutes after applying the Advantix, she could't move. :(

Hmmm this is an interesting thread. My Pug Lola suffered back issues a couple of months ago and weve been using advantix this year. Let me know if tou find out anything more.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
I would stop giving Advantix to your pug, because I am 100% certain my dogs' hind leg paralysis came from the Advantiix. An hour before I applied the Advantix, my dog was running after a toy like a puppy; 90 minutes after applying the Advantix, she could't move. :(
Did you contact the company and tell then your concern? How is she now?

(And how is emma??)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can anyone suggest some natural remedies and / or foods for inflammation ? My 15 year old mixed breed terrier is having major stiffness in her legs. I am trying Rescue Remedy for anxiety, and Happy Traveler. For inflammation I use Zyflamenz, a supplement by New Chapter...I was told it is safe for dogs, it works for my arthritis pain. I've been walking her more and we have caveletties in the yard to exercise and build muscle. I was wondering if I could give her other muscle building supplements like protein powder but I read the label and the one I bought contains soy and milk. I also give her New Chapter Bone Strength. I am totally against steroids as they make her more anxious and it is painful to watch so I prefer natural meds and foods. I am aware of foods for people ie: cherries, pineapple...but I don't know if it's safe to give to dogs. I also use Acti-Flex which the vet recommended...it's made for horses and they say the senior dog formula is the same so I use the horse formula and I give it to her at night. Any advice out there ? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
I assume acti-flex has some glucosamine and chondroitin in it? IF not, I'd start by getting her something that contains that, something like Cosequin. You can also start Omega 3 fatty acid supplements (not 6 and 9, just 3). You can ask your vet about starting her on Adequan injections.

After that, any other suggestions are not natural remedies but would help very much (non steroidal anti-inflammatories do WONDERS.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts