Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week I have been including green grapes in my dogs' diet as I thought that the were healthy for them (I have been following Juliette de Bairacli Levy's diet for dogs, and she fed her dogs' raisins and grapes); Mon-Friday, I gave my dogs 5-10 grapes along with their meals (one dog is 43 lbs, and one is 61 lbs). They have shown no symptoms (no vomiting, diarrhea, etc), but tonight I stumbled upon research articles explaining that grapes can cause acute renal failure in dogs and fatality in dogs, and I am currently freaking out. They both have been drinking water and urinating normally, but I am still so worried. Should I take them to the vet? Have any of you had experiences with your dogs ingesting grapes? I am not giving them grapes again, and I am horrified at the fact that I ignorantly gave my dogs something so toxic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,520 Posts
Hi Lovelypups,

It's late, and no one here is a vet. Please call an emergency animal hospital and explain that you've fed your dogs grapes. You need a vet's advice. And, please come back with an update. Praying that all will be o.k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
This past week I have been including green grapes in my dogs' diet as I thought that the were healthy for them (I have been following Juliette de Bairacli Levy's diet for dogs, and she fed her dogs' raisins and grapes); Mon-Friday, I gave my dogs 5-10 grapes along with their meals (one dog is 43 lbs, and one is 61 lbs). They have shown no symptoms (no vomiting, diarrhea, etc), but tonight I stumbled upon research articles explaining that grapes can cause acute renal failure in dogs and fatality in dogs, and I am currently freaking out. They both have been drinking water and urinating normally, but I am still so worried. Should I take them to the vet? Have any of you had experiences with your dogs ingesting grapes? I am not giving them grapes again, and I am horrified at the fact that I ignorantly gave my dogs something so toxic.
My dog got a grape once when it rolled off the counter.... I think the dog thought it had found a candy that fell all the way from heaven. :)

It's really too bad dogs can't process grapes because you could train a dog to do ANYTHING with just a hand full of grapes :D

Back to you: Here is a website you can read right now to get more information: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-grapes/

When they say "kidney failure", which is the biggie on the list, what they mean is that you need to look for these signs and symptoms: https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/urinary/c_multi_renal_failure_chronic

At the very least I would call the vet and ask them what to do. If the dogs are not looking sick then they are probably not in any immediate danger. The vet will tell you what to do and they can tell you how long it will be before the dogs own system will have processed the toxins.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
When I was visiting my dog at the Emergency Vet Hospital, the front desk got a call about a dog being brought in that had eaten grapes. She hung up the phone and told other staff members about it. There was a sense of emergency about the situation. I knew that my dog shouldn't have grapes, but after I saw the real concern and urgency over the situation at the vet office it reinforced how dangerous grapes can be for dogs. Your dogs may appear okay right now, but there could still be damage ticking away that's not visible. Maybe something can be done to counter that. I would definitely contact a vet hospital and see what you should do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-Update-

This morning I called the vet, and they told me to bring the dogs by so that they could run some tests; they emphasized that grape toxicity entirely depends on the individual dog. I brought them in and they ran some blood tests - my dogs’ tests results have nothing out of the ordinary! The vet told me that neither dog exhibits evidence of kidney dysfunction and that there is no evidence that either dog has been affected by grapes. I am beyond relieved! Thanks to everyone who replied! The thoughts and information that you all provided is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
From what you said, I assume the vet said that you only needed to take the one blood test? This past winter when I had medication ingested by one of the dogs in the house, I had to take all of the dogs in every day for...I think 4 days to get tested. They said that things can go downhill days after getting normal results on a blood test. Although maybe because all of that time has already lapsed with your dogs then you only needed one test?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what you said, I assume the vet said that you only needed to take the one blood test? This past winter when I had medication ingested by one of the dogs in the house, I had to take all of the dogs in every day for...I think 4 days to get tested. They said that things can go downhill days after getting normal results on a blood test. Although maybe because all of that time has already lapsed with your dogs then you only needed one test?
Yes. I asked them to run whatever tests were necessary to determine if my dogs were affected by the grapes, and my vet told me that the toxin from grapes affects the kidneys therefore the blood tests that they ran were associated with kidney function. My vet told me a story of a dog that ate a whole bag of grapes and showed no side-effects, but then he has also seen dogs that had to be hospitalized for days due to consuming a couple of grapes. I also was told that no one really knows what exactly it is that makes some dogs react to grapes and others have no problem with it, so the best thing to do is avoid them altogether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,520 Posts
Will you be returning to the vet for a follow-up check? DogFaming makes a good point about running the tests again. What did your vet say about that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will you be returning to the vet for a follow-up check? DogFaming makes a good point about running the tests again. What did your vet say about that?
I don't plan to, my vet did not say anything about a follow-up appointment or running the tests again. I would be more worried if my vet seemed concerned about it, but he told me that their results gave him no reason to believe that they consumed grapes. At this point, I trust that my vet is right about all this, and I believe that my pups will be okay. If for some reason, they still experience side-effects from the grapes, I don't really know what could be done considering the amount of time that has elapsed. Nonetheless, I'll still be praying that they haven't been harmed in anyway by it all, and I'm going to be extremely cautious with what I feed them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I have to say, I'm a bit surprised that your vet didn't want your dogs to come back to have their kidneys rescreened. When my dog got into some trail mix with raisins, she had to stay at the emergency vet for two days despite showing no symptoms or signs of kidney dysfunction, and then needed to have a follow-up with her regular vet 4-6 days later to retest kidney function.

If I were in your position, I would call the vet back to double check that a follow-up visit wasn't needed. Better to be safe than sorry, right?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top