Dog Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I snark because I get more replies based of what people are guessing their living conditions and how they are treated.

I am one for open discussion, which is why I created this thread, However I am not for one offering up opinions because they feel that they provide a better home for their dog because they are actually inside... That's where it gets kind of too personal in which they are entitled to their feelings but at the same time idc.

Things that I am aggravated by:

-The fact that I have to disclose so much information to try and prove that these dogs aren't neglected.

-The fact that just because my dogs are sick I'm the same as every other creepo who doesn't really care.

-I dislike the fact that I sad thin but never said emaciated nor did anyone stop to think "hmm how thin."

-The fact that people suggested rehoming without really giving adequate advice. Who gives away their dogs.

-The fact that I said they were my moms and my brother was going to get pissed now I'm a liar because my brother cares way to much for the dog for them to be my moms.

-The fact that if you really don't know... just say "I really don't know the issue but seek vet attention, best of luck."

Too many assumption and not enough questions. How could I not get bothered. I came here for a answer but found myself defend my familys character and commitment to these dog rather than finding good answers.

Do you guys honestly think no one else cares about their dog. Or do you simply think by trying your darnest to make the next person seem like they don't care make you the ultimate pet lover?

It doesn't, other people care about their pets too. Its exactly because I care that I've went to so many discussion boards and joined way too many sites. I've had pets die and that is the worst feeling in the word when you see your pet, your son, exhale for the last time in your arm. And I'm honestly here because I want to prevent that as much as possible.

I am sorry, Icemaiden, I was posting quite angrily at the moment and it came out that way. It was wrong of me and you did not deserve it.

As for my earlier reply I won't apologize because I too am passionate about pets. However, my intention was not to offend.

·
Banned
295 Posts
the dog house had hay but my mother switched to mulch a while back.
I meant to come back and reply to this earlier but forgot. This could VERY well be the issue. Some types of mulch are toxic to dogs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I believe you said their houses were made up of plywood. There are also some types of plywood that are treated with chemicals to keep them from rotting that can be toxic to animals. I am not sure if these as new or have be unusally wet but this could cause a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
880 Posts
It might also be a vaccine reaction, depending on when the vacation was given. Or a fungal infectio, I know when I adopted my dog he had a bad fungal infection and you could see his ribs and he had a few bald spots all of which cleared up with the use of an antifungal
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
295 Posts
Good points, @TruckersMom!

I know with the horses, they can get "scratches" on their heels/pasterns which is caused from wet/muddy footing/environment. The open scratches/sores can get infected causing what they call "mud fever" which does cause the limbs to swell up and the horse to be stiff/lame.

I don't know of dogs getting this, but any time there are open wounds there is the chance for infection, swelling, and sickness.

ETA: I have an unhealthy obsession with slashes/slashes. LOL!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Look at the information you provided us. You and your brother live states away. Your mother cares for the dogs but can't get to a vet because no driving. The dogs have gone rapidly down hill in 2 weeks, and were given more injections while already ill, which could compound the problem. Your post title is they're your dogs, then they're your brother's dogs, then they're your mother's dogs. You called the dogs 'really skinny' which to most of us means many bones are visible. They have considerable sores and open wounds, and are lethargic. You described them as being on chains all the time.

It DOES sound like the standard pass-the-buck-it's-someone-else's-fault problems we get asked advice for all the time on this forum. And when you were questioned about it, just like those people you got VERY defensive VERY quickly. Even animal hoarders (which nobody says you are, before you take offense to that too) love their animals and want what's best for them, even as those animals are suffering terrible neglect.

We want to help every animal out there that needs help. Help us help you, and the number one way you can do that is to stop sniping. Bottle up your indignation that strangers might question the very suspicious sounding information that you yourself wrote down. Think about how it looks, not about all the information you haven't told us, and calm down.

Today was their vet appointment. What did the vet say? Were there blood tests done, fecal exams and so on to check for the poisons you were concerned about? Did anything get checked as to their food? Are they on medicines now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks everyone for the info. We are in route to the vet's now. Thanks to you guys I have extra details to give the veterinarian.

After question my mom extensively I found out that she changed their food a month back.

"Really thin" is a matter of perception type word. Really thin to me means a noticeable difference in size. No bones visable. Three each have one sore.. on the exact same leg, which was weird so I was thinking poison. It was too much of a coincidence. It reality, in all my panic, it may not be as bad as I led on.

How should I have named the post: my mothers dogs which we're given and taken care of by my brother until recently because he finally left home 2 months ago are really thin, but really thin is my perception so you might just think theyre sort of thin, and are sick plz help; is that better?

Anyone would get defensive a bad parent, Good parent, it doesn't matter.

Redwood, your last comment is a perfect example on what I was talking about. 3 paragraph on specifics that doesn't matter and one actually helpful one.

I don't want to continue with this same two step because if I continue to defend myself: I lose. And if I don't defend myself and let you guys imagination run wild on what poor poor dogs we have: I still lose.

The internet is a scary place.

I never believe I said the amount of time they were chained, Oh well.

Back to the other concerns.

It isn't muddy in their enclosures. I never considered the mulch. Hmm and the plywood point is good too. These are things I didn't think of.

My brother suspects that the vet will prescribe antibiotics. But we still have to get down to the culprit of the issue as well.

Well be there soon. Update you guys pronto:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Redwood, you're one of those passive aggressive types huh. You try to seem as if you're trying too sooth things over, but you aren't.

One word of advice,
which nobody says you are, before you take offense to that too
doesn't make the person you're talking to not feel like you are tying to spurn them. If you were not trying to offend all you would have ended at which nobody says you are. But you already knew that.

The internet is they type of place where low key attackers are hailed as the voice of reason and justice.
Again, I sincerely thank everyone from the bottom of my heart who offered a different insight. I think I'm going to delete this account because I'd hate to have to go through all this on every thread.

Thanks for the hospitality.

And fyi what real neglectful person sends a link with their family pic, first and last name, and location if they feared they've wronged the pets and actually don't want anyone to know.

Smh..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
And another thing, I own a non profit and if I treat each person in need like they are the last person who was no good just because they're situation or story were similar then I wouldn't be much helpful at all as a non profit. Soaring hearts foundation. Check sunbiz.org for everyone assuming I'm a liar. My name is dravian gullage and if you dont believe I'm him I'm also on Facebook as Drav gully.

·
Banned
295 Posts
I think the lesson here is that when you have an animal that appears to need to see a vet, just call the vet and then take the animal in. No need to join an internet forum just to have strangers tell you to take the dogs to the vet.

I think sometimes the allure of receiving attention in online forums like this causes people to post threads about things that they really could take care of themselves without the opinions of dozens of strangers who know nothing about them or their animals. I see it all of the time both here and on the horse forums I frequent, and the most sound advice given is usually "Call the vet" or "Talk to your trainer". The internet is no substitute for those two things.

·
Registered
880 Posts
@Gretchenpc That is exactly what I was thinking. I am only able to offer guesses but I am by no means a substitute for a fully qualified vet.

I once posted because I thought my dog had ate a Christmas Ornament hanger, I already had planned to call the vet as soon as they open but just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions/ideas on what to do before that time.

Certified/Bonded/Qualified/Trained Professionals are the ultimate answer for most problems. Our "uneducated" guesses may only help you to narrow your search in this case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
you guys are 100% right and still I really do appreciate your input instead of just ignoring this post. I don't want to confuse you guys into thinking I don't actually value your input because of how defensive I was.

I appreciate th willingness to help both good and bad and i guess i'd do a better job of being more descriptive in the future when asking for help.

back from the vet, and he gave them shots of penicillin and informed us to switch back to their regular diet and as for the sores he can only guess that it was the mulch.. He will follow up with my mom and brother in a weeks with blood work results. he was actually closed for christmas but did us a favor.

my brother and i will change out their enclosure flooring when we get home also.

It seems as though I really did react that way but seeing them like that did frighten me for a moment. Also for the most part Oreo, Blitz, Tomtom, And spot have perked up but we're waiting on kaykay to feel better. KI wont be here for the follow up as I will be going to FL sat but i will keep all of you posted over the next few days and after I leave as well.And as fr the sores at their wrist level he said it could of came from the irritation and biting at of where the mulch stops and rubs.

I suspect blood work will confirm things a bit as well.

·
Registered
876 Posts
As you can see the specifics always matter. A small sore and a little bit of lost weight doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as what was first described. I'm glad that the dogs have seen a vet and have some medicines and changes coming along that might help get them better. Do you have someone local willing to help your mom get to a vet if things down turn again while you're in Florida? Neighbors, local friends, maybe even the vet willing to make house calls? If this hasn't been looked into, I strongly suggest it before you leave the state as a just in case blanket.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts