Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just did a simple 5-10 min session with all the boys and Glacier did down without me having to bend over all the way and touch the ground! Yea this is a big deal when you got a bad back ;)

He also did stay again, very well too. He did not remove his butt from the ground after 2 oopsies. He even sat there when I turned my back to him.

He also did leave it...no clue how else to teach a deaf dog leave it other than hold my hand flat out with the treat in it for leave it, and either pinch a treat with 2 fingers or show him the treats with a slightly tilted hand and closer to his face. But either way he did it! Very quick learner!

Of course I am slowly introducing these to him as to not overwhelm him but he seems very eager to learn.

Peyton is NOT going for this take a bow crap lol. But he did do leave it, stay, sit, down all on voice commands. Will work on stand first before take a bow I think, having "stand" down helped with Harvick and "take a bow" that way when he sat or lied down we could have him stand then retry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tried take a bow with Fizzle. Kinda worked once. Now like pawz I need to start with stand. lol What word you all use for stand? I am using up. Any reason not to?

Tim

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol...freaking awesome...

Pits are pretty sharp dogs.

I haven't started take a bow yet...plan on starting that tomorro...

maybe teach it to Glacier instead?
I will keep trying with Peyton and even see if Glacier will do it. Maybe I can accomplish both! lol I am shocked as to how quick he is learning and "listening" haha

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried take a bow with Fizzle. Kinda worked once. Now like pawz I need to start with stand. lol What word you all use for stand? I am using up. Any reason not to?

Tim
I see no reason to not use "up" instead of "stand" the way I was taught is to have your dog in a down and then ball up your hand into a fist, start it at a short angle in front of you then pull it down to your side and say "stand"...the dog should stand to see what is in your hand...ie. a treat ;)...click or say "yes" or whatever you use and give the treat. if Fizzle does not stand at first give it a min. It took about 3 days for Harvick to learn stand. Now I can ball up my fist next to me and say stand instead of having to draw it back. It just helps to get them out of a sit or down without using a break command and them losing focus lol.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
what pawz said lol

You can use any word you want Tim...you can say "peanut butter" it doesn't really matter.... you just can't use that word again later for som'thing else :)

I use "up" for "jump onto som'thing"...like the couch, but it doesn't really matter. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If you guys are having trouble with the lure you can always "capture" the behavior....wait for the dog to do it on his own...like stretching and then click/treat...this is how Iam planning to do it ;) Hope to start on this today. I was going to last night but then Chili decided to learn to roll over all by himself!(Iam very proud) So we went with that instead. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you guys are having trouble with the lure you can always "capture" the behavior....wait for the dog to do it on his own...like stretching and then click/treat...this is how Iam planning to do it ;) Hope to start on this today. I was going to last night but then Chili decided to learn to roll over all by himself!(Iam very proud) So we went with that instead. :)
Thats what we do LOL

OMG roll over is so cute haha take video, none of my dogs do it and I don't expect them to on the tile lol

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Thats what we do LOL

OMG roll over is so cute haha take video, none of my dogs do it and I don't expect them to on the tile lol

I have a vid...Ill upload today... we were doing "bang bang" and he randomly rolled over too far...so I threw a party...thinking...oh well that wont happen again...then he repeated it over and over!! I squeeeed in joy!

Tippy wont "down" on anything but carpet...its very frustrating.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a vid...Ill upload today... we were doing "bang bang" and he randomly rolled over too far...so I threw a party...thinking...oh well that wont happen again...then he repeated it over and over!! I squeeeed in joy!

Tippy wont "down" on anything but carpet...its very frustrating.
I will have to try and get a pic or vid of Tinkerbell's "sit" and Wendy's "down" they wont go all the way down on the tile and Tinks doesn't sit on her butt, she sits on her side/thigh/hip whatever you wanna call it haha. It took FOREVER to get her to do that on tile.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
no clue how else to teach a deaf dog
Ohh ohhh ohhh!! *raises hand*

Which one of your dog's is deaf and was he born that way? Do you do anything special for him to cope day to day?
Our family dog Mandy went deaf last year after radiation and we can tell it's upsetting her-we're considering a vibrating collar to help her interact and relearn 'come' and things like that-what do you think?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohh ohhh ohhh!! *raises hand*

Which one of your dog's is deaf and was he born that way? Do you do anything special for him to cope day to day?
Our family dog Mandy went deaf last year after radiation and we can tell it's upsetting her-we're considering a vibrating collar to help her interact and relearn 'come' and things like that-what do you think?
He was born deaf, the white American Pit Bull Terrier :)

We are planning to get a vcollar to teach him recall.

I am not quite sure there is much to do to help them cope, if they go deaf randomly I can see that being traumatizing. I think just showing her its ok and not babying her too much will help :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Thanks -let me know if you get the vcollar and how it goes :)

Is it common for white american pbt to be deaf?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I will have to try and get a pic or vid of Tinkerbell's "sit" and Wendy's "down" they wont go all the way down on the tile and Tinks doesn't sit on her butt, she sits on her side/thigh/hip whatever you wanna call it haha. It took FOREVER to get her to do that on tile.
i love this sort of thing, it is sooo funny. i could never compete in any sort of obediance competition....when you ask clover to "down" from a "sit", he'll just lay down like normal, but if i ask him to do it from a "stand" he puts his head down first and then just flops his butt down....it is soo funny! you should see him when i ask him to "sit" in the lake.....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts