Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, first posting so a bit of background

Our dog is a rescue, story is she was left behind when the family moved at about 6mo of age, tied to a tree for several days in the rain.
I asked the vet his 'best guess' on her breed and he said "Pointer, Pit" then tilted his head to the side and said "Maybe a bit of Hound"
She is now 6 1/2 and 95lbs, a bit larger than we bargained for but what can ya do eh?

We recently moved and when we enter the back yard the neighbors small dog (chiwawa mix?) starts to bark, then their other dog (pit/mix about 50-60 lbs) will join in and run to the fence. Due to this we supervise our dog when we take her out, direct her to the other side of the yard to 'do her business'. 95% of the time all goes well, the other 5% the barking seems to trigger something in her and she will run to the fence and try to get at the other dog.
She seems to be 60%+ more likely to do this when the wife takes her out.
Last week we went camping, my daughter was watching the house and when she took her out one day she went for the fence, a few fence boards broke and she got bit. nothing 'serious' 2 punctures, seems to be fine, vet checked her out.
A few times we have put her out on a cable for awhile, It seems to me the other dog is initiating the issue, but I know it takes 2 to tango.
Our other issue is when the front door is open, screen/security door closed, she likes to sit there and look out. If anyone walks by or approaches she will bark like crazy and wont calm down. When we do get her to calm down she will 'gruff/small bark' once I/we take our attention off her.

Walking her is an issue, she will sniff EVERYTHING with the passion of a blood hound on the scent of a missing fugitive, that and there were several 'stray/free roaming' dogs in that area that were an issue. At the time there was a very large yard, 1/2 acre, for exercise and no issues with leaving her out for hours at a time.
We plan on working on walking again but want the aggression issue handled 1st.
I wanted to put up the main issues for advice, I will now comb thru all the other posts and stickies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
First of all, keeping the front door open, with only the screen door closed, is asking for a disaster. Don't do it. Also, keep the dog on a leash in the back yard to keep her from reacting to the neighbor's dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand why leaving the front door open is "asking for trouble", as I said there is a security/screen door, she cant get out.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top