Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our puppy for a month and she is mostly housebroken. She pees every time we take her outside (about every 2 hours when we're home), and can hold it for 8 or 9 hours in the crate at night or when we're at work. However every so often (less than once a week) she pees in the house. We have her under constant surveillance. She's either right with us or tied down to a specific small area, but we only go out of fight for a minute or two at a time. However we've only ever found out she's peed by finding the pee after the fact. Even in a circumstance where we were practically staring right at her the entire time she was in the room, she leaves and somehow there's pee on the floor.
We're at a loss as to how to reinforce that she shouldn't pee in the house if we miss it every time.
Any ideas?

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Supervision is a tough topic. Most people consider supervision as being in close proximity, which is simply not enough in most cases (with children, etc). To be *fully* supervised, your eyes should be glued to your dog. This does mean shorter bursts of being out of the crate/x-pen/whatever, but it means shorter bursts with more success.

You do seem to be having lots of success, though, so I wonder how old your puppy is...it may just be you need to take her out every 90 minutes when you're home instead of 2 hours.

Ninja pees are typically a sign that the dog has been punished indoors for peeing so they just pee where you can't see them, too. This can be something as simple as getting frustrated and raising your voice without realizing it.So maybe pay attention to what happens after the next accident and see what your dog's response is with an objective eye-are they nervous, avoiding confrontation, indifferent, or excited?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, so the times it has happened both me and my fiance swear our eyes never left her. I don't think she can handle shorter times out of the crate, as she already has more energy than she knows what to do with. We don't let her wander, we keep her on a tie down in the living room, directly in front of the couch where we're sitting if we aren't currently interacting with her. Right now we're doing a thing where we leave her alone for 1 minute, and if she isn't engaging in "bad" behaviors, such as barking or chewing the hutch or crate (the only things she can reach that we don't want her chewing), then we go over and spend a minute with her. She's a very social dog and does not tolerate doing things on her own very well. Only in the last few days has she started chewing her bone or playing with her rope by herself, without us holding it.
She's 7 or 8 months and we've only had her for 1 month. She peed twice yesterday, but that was after more than a week without accidents. One of the times yesterday she was right next to the chair my fiance was sitting in, and he was actually interacting with her, and then got up and realized that she had peed in the spot she was while he was interacting with her. The other time was in the bedroom, where we had her while one of us was getting warmer clothes on to take her out, and the other was watching her. After she'd gone out I discovered the pee. We're pretty sure she's magic.
I don't know what happened to her before we got her, but she's head-shy, so it's quite possible that she got negative reinforcement around indoor peeing. But it doesn't seem like she's deliberately trying to hide it, she just pees really fast.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
How much is she peeing each time she has an accident?

Has she been checked out by the vet to make sure a medical reason isn't the cause?

What type of flooring is she peeing on? Some dogs have a harder time resisting peeing on carpet.

Is she only peeing when y'all are interacting with her?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's pretty random. Wood floors. Small amount, but then she only ever pees a small amount, unlike my former chow/Akita that would pee a couple gallons each time. We haven't had her checked, as we've only had her 4 weeks and weren't considering it to be anything other than a lack of full house training. She has pooped inside a couple times too.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It's pretty random. Wood floors. Small amount, but then she only ever pees a small amount, unlike my former chow/Akita that would pee a couple gallons each time. We haven't had her checked, as we've only had her 4 weeks and weren't considering it to be anything other than a lack of full house training. She has pooped inside a couple times too.

It might be worth getting her checked out by the vet if it doesn't stop. It might be her style of peeing but it might be something else.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Since she's so young, she probably just needs to go out more frequently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts