Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a bad temper and will sometimes lash out. My new foster dog has picked up on this after seeing him yell at me and now won't even let him be in the same room as me, growling and barking at him until ghe leaves. What do I do to stop this?

·
Registered
340 Posts
It sounds like your dad needs to make a concerted effort to make friends with your dog. Lots of treats, even if he has to start with tossing them to your pup from across the room. Pup needs to learn that dad = good things. And dad needs to learn to yell less, at least around the dog, but that's something that you can't control, unfortunately. I suspect that if your dog is protective of you, and your dad continues to yell at you, he's going to have trouble making friends with your dog. That's a really difficult situation. :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry for back to back posts, but I thought of something else.

Is this a dog that you're fostering with plans to adopt him yourself? Or are you fostering him until a permanent home is found? Both situations are concerning, but in the case of the second, it's especially so because instead of learning to be more friendly to a wide variety of people in preparation for a new home, he's learning that men are scary and not to be trusted, which could cause problems for his next family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.