Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a 7 pound mini pin chihuahua mix. He is 3 years old and should probably weigh around 9 pounds, I'm guessing. He is an awesome dog- he is very happy and playful and has at least a normal amount of energy. His coat is very smooth and he is very healthy. However, he is very skinny- you can see his tail bones which I know is bad. I have tried every kind of dog food in the world, he basically won't eat dry food, unless its mixed up and then he only eats a little (he will pick through it and only eat the good stuff- somedays he will even lick off the kibbles). Every time I take him to the vet I mention it but they don't seem to concerned, but I am getting frustrated. There are days when he won't eat hot dogs, or a piece of chicken breast or pepperoini. He has always been a little scared of his food, but I am just confused as to why he wouldn't want to eat. We only feed him twice a day, which we found works best, so at least he is a little hungry. We have also tried just waiting till he is hungry, but he literly won't eat unless it tastes good, and then he will still won't eat very much. Just not sure what to do- I am considering just feeding him pure steak meat all the time as it seems to be the only thing he really likes. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
try CSJ food, wirral dog food will deliver anywhere and give you a free consultation over what is the best dog food they provide for your dog. They are supported by one of the best dog trainers in the country

·
Registered
824 Posts
can you post a pic of your dog from the top down?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
How long have you had him?
Seeing bones in the tail is not unusual. Can you see his ribs or hip bones? You can try mixing a little goody food in his dry with water. Much it up good so he has not pieces to pick out. Are feeding small meals twice a day? How much food are you feeding him per meal? 7 pounds does not sound to thin. Hope, my chihuahua weighs that.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I cook food for my dogs which I use as supplement on their kibble. I make a big batch (1/3 brown rice or barley, 1/3 vegetable, 1/3 meat) freeze some and keep a portion in the fridge. When it is meal time, I put the kibble in the bottom, add some home made food, add hot water and stir it up. The hot water brings out more flavour and smell and takes the chill out of the home made food.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
He has always been a little scared of his food, but I am just confused as to why he wouldn't want to eat
What do you mean by scared of his food?
How is he acting around it?
How are you acting when you feed him?
Where are you feeding him?
Is he a rescue or have you had him since he was a puppy?
Is he normally timid, or has he been fussed at for going after food that is dropped on the floor?

It's unusual for a dog to be scared of their food. If he is scared of it he may be to stressed to eat much at one setting.

Are you measuring his food? If you aren't already, measure out his daily food, subtract some for whatever amount of topping you are using, and portion that out for his two feedings. That way you'll know if he really is eating enough for his size and weight. He may just be a dog that is normally on the thin size and has no interest in eating more then he needs.

Can you clearly see his ribs, spine, and hip bones? Don't worry about the tail, that isn't used in judging overall body condition, the three body parts I asked about are.

Reactions: kmes

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
A dog that size will eat remarkably little food, probably just a matter of a few dozen kibbles per day at most.

He may actually be eating enough, and is just not hungry to eat more. When you are already full, only the most tantalizing food is worth eating, right?

Just steak is not a complete diet, so that would not be a good plan.
You could feed him a quality, complete canned food though and that would be fine, if he is not too keen on kibble.

Overall, I would simply put food down for him twice a day and don't fuss over him. If you make a big deal out of it, then you have all the emotional and behavioral stuff added on top of things and you cannot sort it out.

If your vet thinks he is a healthy weight, then you can be reassured.

(I have a dog with much the same issues, btw, so I'm speaking from some experience!... less drama and more matter-of-fact is a good solution, I found, after doing much of what you have done in terms of catering to the palate.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. The vet thinks he is a little too skinny last time I took him in, but didn't seem worried. He is for sure too skinny now. You can sort of see his ribs, but not really, just the ones at the bottom. You can see his spine a little, and the bones at the base of the tail on the butt are clearly prominent, they stick way out ( I think these are the hip bones and not the tail bones). I've compared him to dogs pictures online and he appears to be underweight. We have another chihuahua she is also seven pounds but clearly overweight. But he's a little bigger, he has long legs too. I will try to post a pic of him later. I may be fussing too much over getting him to try and eat, however, if i fuss, he will eat more, but still, that is a good idea. It is like I have to convince him to eat, if we just put his bowel down, he won't eat, not even if we leave it there forever.
He acts really weird around food, even food he doesn't eat- like my vegetables that he would never eat. He tries to get away from it- he also has obsessive compulsive problems with it- he will push his noes on the ground towards the food for minutes on end, sometimes i have to take him away so he doesn't have to do it. He does it sometimes with his food bowl. When he is eating, he tries to stand as far away as he can from the bowl. Sometimes, his back paws even lift off the floor. Occasionally I will put the food on the floor- but that doesn't really help. Sometimes, after eating, he backs really far away from his food, and won't come back even when I call him. We know something is up with him, so we NEVER EVER punish him for eating food- not even if he steals some steak off our dinner plate- it is so rare that it's not worth it.
He lived with dog horders for the first year of his life. He was not socialized. I have come a long way but he still has problems. He was extremely skinny when I got him.
I have made food for him in the past (veggies, rice, and meat). He liked it better than the kibbles, but I was worried about balenced nutrition. I like to feed him high quality kibbles, the canned food is always by products unless it costs like 2 dollars a can. I always mix the food with a little water, a little canned, and some mushed up chicken, ect. Right now I am feeding him a store brand that he seems to sort of like... it is similar to blue diamond, with chicken, lamb, brown rice. I try to change his food occasionally, he was recently eating millennia solid gold (beef, ocean fish, barley, peas, canola oil, ect ). No by products.
I feed him in one of two places, around the same times each day, but not exactly.
Maybe I am just making too big of a deal out of it. Hes not even close to the point where hes going to die of starvation, and I don't think he will ever get there since he survived with the horders, maybe he is just supposed to be underweight.
Thanks for all your replies- I will look into them!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I can see the last couple of my dog's ribs, easily feel here spine and hips and she's in perfect condition. So many dogs are overweight that most people dont know what healthy dog look like.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: FailedSlacker

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Let's see a picture of your dog, perhaps two, one from the side and one from above. Can you do that?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I can see the last couple of my dog's ribs, easily feel here spine and hips and she's in perfect condition. So many dogs are overweight that most people dont know what healthy dog look like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto this. It sounds like your dog is in good working weight.

This is the only decent pic I can find (and it's not really apparent), but Tanner is the same way.

You can also see the ribs on Tesla here - though it's a bit exagerated since the pic caught her during an exhale.

My flyball team's sheltie only eats 12 kibble a day which doesn't seem like much. If you are super concerned, you could try switching to a higher cal dog food - just make sure those cals are coming from fat and protein and not extra carbs.

Of course an image would really help as well.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Some dogs are just picky. :) A healthy dog will *not* starve itself. It may go on a strike for a day or so, just to see how desperate you get and what you'll offer up. :) I'm not one to give in, I let them pout and they'll eat the next day. Again, though, this is for a healthy dog and I don't understand the other issues you're explaining that sound psychological.

You have fed a lot of different things -- any chance you've caused stomach upset? Is he throwing up or does he have loose stools? What kinds of tests did the vet run -- blood work, xray? How long have you had this dog; ie, is this a new development?

One thing I've used (for a different reason,) that is simple and dogs go insanely nuts for is this:
: HealthyCoat for Dogs

You just use a small squirt on the food and stir it. I am just kind of concerned about all the foods you're giving him.

Would love to see a pic, though. Many owners think a very healthy dog is too skinny.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It sounds like she's on the thin side, but I wouldn't be to worried unless she lost another pound. From a study I read recently dogs that are at their ideal weight or that are a little thinner live longer, healthier, lives then dogs that are overweight. It's actually better for them to be skinny.

If she was attacked by the other dogs for trying to get to the food bowl when she lived with the hoarders that's probably why she has the behaviors you described.

If you don't mind cooking for her then try contacting a veterinary nutritionist about balanced recipes, you can also check out the food forum on here for recipes. There are dog vitamins that you can give to be sure she's getting proper nutrition.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Photos from above and the side would be great:)
Here's Nola's. It's hard to see in the picture of her from the side, but in person you can see the last 1-3 ribs (her weight fluctuates from 7.8lbs and 8.6lbs). She's solid muscle, not fat on her.
And yes, in the second pic her claws need cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
great looking doxie! Rarely does one see them so fit.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
great looking doxie! Rarely does one see them so fit.
Thanks!:D I keep her weight low to minimize the risk of back issues. She gets a ton of exercise.
It's disgusting to see how fat most Doxies are:(:mad: I get people telling me she's too thin all the time:eyeroll:

Reactions: crock

·
Registered
824 Posts
Like I tell my class, if you don't regularly have strangers telling you your dog is too skinny, they are probably overweight.
:rofl: that's about right!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Ditto on Nola's great condition! Good job!

To the OP, I'm sorry your dog has had such a rough life. That's wonderful that you took him in. After everything you've probably gone through with him (or her), I'd say it's okay even if you are needlessly worrying in this case. Better safe than sorry. :)

I was in the camp of "less fuss" over the eating and also that he probably is eating as much as he needs to. Some dogs just aren't big eaters and some just stay on the slim side. Also, it might make him nervous that you are fussing over him when he's eating or increase the unpleasantness of the situation.

One thing you might try is to feed the highest calorie protein/fat kibble you can find so that it is at least super nutrient dense. The more canned food you do, the more wasted volume--since it's less nutrient dense and more water--in your little dog's tiny stomache. If you want to mix in canned to make it more palatable, I'd go with a high meat source (ie min. 50% meat protein) grain free product.

Or... for straight kibble, I know some prefer to meal feed, but have you ever just free fed? Can can still track how much he is eating per day by putting in the recommended amount and measure what's left at the same time every day to get an idea of his daily intake. That way, you'll still know when he's off his feed, but he'll be able to eat when he's hungry.

If you ever get in a bind, there's a supplement I've used regularly called Nutri-cal. It's a super palatable calorie gel with vits/mins that can be licked off of fingers (if your dog is comfortable with that) or put on the top of paws to be licked off.

Lastly, have you ever switched the kind of bowls (ie other materials, shapes, colors)? Or fed in a non-traditional space? (Like on the sofa or wherever he is most comfy?)

A photo would be very helpful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts