Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all im new on here i have an english pointer shes 6 years old she used to come in season fairly regular when she was 3 we got her in pup since then she hasnt come into season again is there any way of getting her to come in season again shes now almost 7 years old and im looking to breed from her again because i use her for hunting and want to get a pup from her and train it over the next year or two with her any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
187 Posts
She might be having silent heats, but I would get her checked over by the vets, although I will say that I feel that as you say she is almost seven that is too old to breed from her again, but if you are concerned that she hasn't come into season I would get her to the vets.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
They can have "silent" heats....ask your vet about having her hormone levels tested

haha chaz and I posted same time!!

I agree seven is a bit old to breed, you are asking for a c-section with that one.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Oh lord yes 7 is a bit old...many complications for both mom and pups occur at older ages.

As for the heat I agree it could be a "silent" heat, my dog growing up would have those a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe 7 is old but shes as energitic and alert as she was when she was 2 if she wasnt healthy i wouldnt dream of getting her pregnant il give the vet a shout so and see what he says

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Any update? What did your vet say?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes I recently found out about this. My lab golden mix is 1yr 7mo and I thought that she just couldnt have pups. So didnt worrie about getting her fixed. I said something to the vet a week ago when I got her shots up to date. thats when I found out she was having silent heat and that she has greater chance of infection then those who have normal heat. And low and behold, 2 days later I come outside to bring her in since she whined all evening to go out and I finally just put her on her chain for the night and she is having normal heat. We are wondering if she had a guy in waiting over night. I hope not.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Yes I recently found out about this. My lab golden mix is 1yr 7mo and I thought that she just couldnt have pups. So didnt worrie about getting her fixed. I said something to the vet a week ago when I got her shots up to date. thats when I found out she was having silent heat and that she has greater chance of infection then those who have normal heat. And low and behold, 2 days later I come outside to bring her in since she whined all evening to go out and I finally just put her on her chain for the night and she is having normal heat. We are wondering if she had a guy in waiting over night. I hope not.
I can almost guarantee your dog is now pregnant...if you get her to the vet they can do an emergency spay...

why didn't you keep her inside??

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Yes-an e-spay would be a good idea ;) Glad she's not sick though!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I didn't know she was in heat. She whines to go out most nights when its nice out, I didn't think anything of it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts